Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Temps at 206 degrees  (Read 4183 times)

woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Temps at 206 degrees
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »

I have witnessed my 5036 with temps. around 205 + or - 3 times now and my water level is down. The 3 times have been over a 2 month period. I never catch it when it is going past the 185 cut off, but it happens, and you can hear the water sizzling. Any ideas???
Woodburner
Central Boiler 5036 since Aug.2011
Galloway, Ohio
Lookin for ways to beat the Utility Co's everyday!

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Temps at 206 degrees
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »

Air leak somewhere, damper sticking a bit likely
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

pwdiver

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler since 2009
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • No matter where you go there you are
    • View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »

It could be that the damper plate is not adjusted properly or that you my have some buildup where the damper plate seal's I try to check mine every few day's use a flash light once its dark and shine on the outside near the plate with door open you should not see much light at all, try this when the boiler is a little cooler so you don't burn yourself. Have you ever adjusted the latch bolt it could be that it might need to be a little tighter. take care :D
I use a Stihl MS361 saw & MS250 & MS170
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com

RMinVa

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 4436
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »

This is my first post here. So, Hello to everyone.

I have a 4436 and have had the over heating problem a couple of times.  It only happens when we have high winds. My CB is facing the west. I stopped the problem by setting a piece of metal in front of the damper section on windy days because it only happens with 15 mph and up winds. I've checked the damper with a light from the inside and can't see anything wrong. On another site someone suggested drilling a 3/8" hole in the flu pipe near the tee. I haven't done that but it may work. Their thinking was it may be a draft induced by the wind over the end of the flu. Right now I'll stick with leaning the metal against the damper cover.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »

If it only overhears in high winds you have a tiny air leak that's ring multiplied by the force of the wind
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »

Well thank you all for the help. I checked all of your ideas, but came up with nothing, then a week and a half later,  my wife told me she thought the stove was catching fire, I ran out to check it and it was steaming big time and at 211 degrees. I looked below the door and I could see a flame through the damper door opening, but the solenoid was not energized. I hit the outside of the filling door and the damper door closed. I now know where my water has been going,and alot of my wood but I am not sure why. I turned the heat up in the house, the patio enclosure and the pole barn to try to bring the temps. down fast, and now we are sweating. I will put some oil on the solenoid and pivot points as soon as it cools down :bash: :bash: but I am confused because it only happens every now and then. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, I am not sure how many times this has happen or how hot it has got, but I am wondering if the high temps. may have/or can cause any problems I need to be aware of. Thanks in advance for your help.   
Woodburner
Galloway, Ohio

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »

Shouldn't hurt anything but spraying your solenoid with a good oil spray besides wd40 will help, it could be sticking
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »

Thanks scott7m, thats what I did. I used 3 in 1 oil, and boy did things smoke as the oil ran all over the very hot damper door. Here's a Warning to anyone having this problem. Do not manually open your damper door after this has happened, even if the temp. read 184 degrees. I did and a flash of flames and heat chased my butt to the ground. I'm guessing trapped gasses that wanted out, much like when you go to fill the stove minutes after the solenoid has closed, only a little more intence since it was all trying to come out of that small door. Now that the smell of hair is gone, all is good, I hope :thumbup:
Woodburner
Galloway, Ohio

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »

Lol good story
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 03:33:08 AM »

Glad you figured it out and the hair will grow back LOL
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"