Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I bought Logstor pipe and this is one of the big reasons why.  (Read 5458 times)

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile

This is a picture of a basement drain that I installed 3 years ago. The line is about 25' from a row of poplar trees, using unpreforated Big O tile and buried about 4 to 5' deep. We noticed in the last few months that the backup sump pump was turning on once in awhile. I just assumed we had been getting a lot of rain because it was only turning on for a few minutes at a time. I was installing my owb line and decided to run a drain line to this tile. I dug in the new line and then when digging to find the old one all of a sudden I had a fountain of water shooting up. Did some digging and found the problem, well not just one problem but one at every single tree. Even found some roots in a really old (40 years old) tile that was 60' from any trees. This is the same type of pipe that a lot of the wrap guys use. Not supposed to have any holes but they are there and enough for a root to get started. This root was in a hole that was smaller than 1/4".

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

cantoo

• View Profile
Re: I bought Logstor pipe and this is one of the big reasons why.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

Here's a picture of my lawn, I would attach pictures of my wife when she got home but I don't think anybody wants to see that face. The small blob of roots was farther down the line and about 30' from the trees. I dug maybe 7 holes to find tile and it was blocked at almost every tree. Trees farther down are only 10' from the tile so I didn't even bother digging there. Next option is to dig approx. 400' and bypass the treeline altogether. Glad I bought the backhoe.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »

The tiles on most owb pipe aren't field tile grade but much heavier...

It all goes back to ditch prep, making an effort and doing the best with what you have. 

I've seen foam filled lines fail as well and have posted several pics on the forum of it happening.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

cantoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »

Oh and that good looking lab in the pic is the one who pulled all the strings out of my tile runs and chewed them all up. Guess I'm going to be blowing line back into them. And every time I set a pipe fitting down she grabbed it and chewed the crap out of it.

cantoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »

Scott, I was in the process of ordering a 3 wrap one from a local guy and it is the same type of tile as I used for drains. There was no name on it and there was no wrap between the 2 pex lines inside. I don't have any trees near where my owb lines are but I do have water issues so I decided the logstor was the way to go and was only $3.80 more per foot. Local guy was giving me a 20% discount too though so it would have been about $5.00 cheaper. Only 100' run though.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »

Hmm....   Musta been some cheaply made 3 wrap,  but what in the world was he charging for it!?

I think a lot of folks would go for logstor if it was only 3.80 more per foot...   Here it's at least $7.00 more per for plus shipping.. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »

If folks spend the extra for foam filled lines, def go with the logstor, it's normally only a buck a foot more than thermopex from central boiler but to me it's twice as good!
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

cantoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »

Scott, are you sitting down? I paid $13.80 per foot plus taxes picked up for the Logstor (3 hour round trip) Local guy wanted $10.00 ( - 20% discount) for the 3 wrap. He wanted $15.00 for the logstor or at least it looked like logstor, with 2 week delivery. The 3 wrap was definitely field tile and was what he normally used. I dug and filled the lines myself so I did more than would normally be done. It was all clay so I hauled it away and used gravel from my gravel pit to go below the tile and to cover it. I sloped the grade so water wouldn't be an issue. I also did a small run using electrical conduit and going to put homemade lines in it, separate run so no biggie if it fails. I'm planning on 1' pex inside of grey foam that is used for water lines. Local electrical supply can get it for $1 for 6' piece, conduit was  $1.45 a foot.  I'm going to put sensors on it to see what the heat loss is. I need a 100' run to my shop and because it'll run inside a heated building I don't need logstor for it but want it insulated.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »

Yea that's outrageous for 3 wrap

I sell Logstor here for $12.90/ft, but I think it will be going up soon

Thermopex is $11.90/ft but sheww, I can't justify that when logstor is a buck more
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »

So are the trees coming down after all that mess?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »

Sounds like your dealer is selling japanese 3 wrap field tile. :bash:

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »

You get what you pay for.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

cantoo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »

Slim at $10 a foot I don't think so.
MattyNH, nope the trees aren't coming down. I'm going to dig a new line away from the trees and go partway back my property. I shoot some grades today and I can make it work. About 450' trench, quality backhoe time again. Closest poplar tree will be about 50' away but I'm going to bury a copper wire to slow the roots down. I did some more digging today and found roots in the 6' deep tile as far as 75' away from the trees. I have a long power snake and just for fun I snaked some of the lines just to see what was in them, most were packed with roots so it wasn't just one or two cracks or holes it was pretty much a free for all with the rots. I have 50 or 60' of 4' solid sewer pipe so I might just use it until I clear the tree line.
 I did manage to pour the pad for my boiler today though. We have rain in the forecast all week here so I'll likely leave the digging for awhile. My wife leaves for Holland in the tomorrow and I'd rather get in other trouble while she's away. 

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 12:20:20 PM »

Yea that's outrageous for 3 wrap

I sell Logstor here for $12.90/ft, but I think it will be going up soon

Thermopex is $11.90/ft but sheww, I can't justify that when logstor is a buck more

How is Logstor better than Thermopex?

How do I find a Logstor seller within a few hours of Upper Peninsula of Michigan?
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

andyjs

• OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 04:53:49 AM »

I bought the logstor also after putting in a crappy $6 foot stuff that soaked up a bunch of water so I learned the hard way.now just waiting on new stove to test it out
Pages: [1] 2