Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cleaning firebox  (Read 6253 times)

Bourboncask

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Classic Edge
  • OWF Model: 760 HDX
  • North Branch MN
    • View Profile
Cleaning firebox
« on: October 19, 2022, 09:15:54 AM »

Just curious if anyone here has ever used or thought to use a pneumatic needle gun to go after the creosote inside the fire box??  I've had my CB 760 HDX for three years now.  I've cleaned the corners of the fire box and the air tube channel out by using a chisel and hammer.  I don't like the idea of taking a hammer and chisel to the fire box, but I don't have a better way to clean it out. 

I've been using a pneumatic needle gun to clean rust off my Chiller end bells at work when I lay them up for the winter.  I had the idea of using the same needle gun to clean the creosote.  I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work.  I plan on trying it this coming weekend.  If it works, I'll let you guys know.  Just wondering if anyone has tried this method before I run a 100' air hose and a compressor out to the boiler and find out I got my hopes up for nothing... 
Bourboncask

“The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.”  - Winston Churchill

Stihl Farm Boss 290
Northstar 24 ton splitter
1980's ish M700 Bobcat
A good back, and a bad ankle

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Cleaning firebox
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 04:59:21 PM »

If it was me I wouldn't do it. I would think it would damage the steel.

Bourboncask

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Classic Edge
  • OWF Model: 760 HDX
  • North Branch MN
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning firebox
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 12:30:34 PM »

Well, I tried it.  It did seem to help on the really dried out stuff, but didn't do much with the corners that had build up because it was still "gooey" under the top.  Where it did help was on removable blower tubes.  It cleaned them up good.  I doubt I'll use it again, it wasn't worth it in the end.  I probably over do it cleaning the fire box out, but I figure the more I can get off now while it's still a young boiler, the less build up I'll have over time.
Bourboncask

“The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.”  - Winston Churchill

Stihl Farm Boss 290
Northstar 24 ton splitter
1980's ish M700 Bobcat
A good back, and a bad ankle