Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 20 pleate or 30 plate heat exchanger ?  (Read 6969 times)

bigbird1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
20 pleate or 30 plate heat exchanger ?
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »

let me start out saying this site is great,  I just got done with my third propane tank stove build (first one 15 years ago) second one 8 years ago) it has a awesome hinge setup with ball bearings , water cooled door and 6 foot of water cooled exhaust that hangs down inside the tank.    so what works best for endless hot water with a 2 gpm shower head.   and also any brands to stay away from?  the wife thinks she needs to use more than a 40 gallon tank full when she takes a bath  ;D   thanks

Ridgekid

Re: 20 pleate or 30 plate heat exchanger ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »

I use a 20 plate with a 50 gallon tank. More than enough Hot water. Even for my hot water deprived wife!

OH, and Welcome to the site!!

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »

Welcome-
   I use a 44" copper side arm exchanger on my old Bradford White Heater with a mixing valve. The 185* water, with the addition of the tempering valve, makes my hwh think it's way bigger than it actually is. We very rarely run out of hot water. I leave my hwh on all the time, and I'm sure it kicks on a couple times a month, but momma stays happy because she almost never runs out of hot water. My electric bill goes down around $65-$80 dollars a month when the OWB is running.

Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:25 PM »

I install 20 plate heat exchangers and it will not run out of hot water as long as you have fire in the firebox.

Just make sure you get one with 1" ports, they make nearly twice the heat as those with 3/4" ports
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »

big bird..if you made your own stove  why nto make your own heater for your water? i used a 12 inch pipe about 24 inches long and made a coil out of a 50 foot length of 1/2 inch copper tube. domestic water runs in the copper pipe and furnace water in the pipe. at the time the copper cost me (with all the fittings) just over 50 bucks. it has been in operation for 10 seasons
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

bigbird1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 08:44:33 PM »

big bird..if you made your own stove  why nto make your own heater for your water? i used a 12 inch pipe about 24 inches long and made a coil out of a 50 foot length of 1/2 inch copper tube. domestic water runs in the copper pipe and furnace water in the pipe. at the time the copper cost me (with all the fittings) just over 50 bucks. it has been in operation for 10 seasons

not a bad idea, I think I have the 3/4 copper laying around  , I'll give it some thought, did you run the copper inside the pipe or on the outside,  looks like it would transfer heat better on the inside.   I would need a bigger pipe than 12"  for the 3/4 tube.  ????

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »

i used 1/2 soft copper and rolled it ove an 8 inch pipe it sprung out to about 10" and fit nicely inside the 12

i dont think you need to use 3/4 copper as most homes (well my home anyway) is plumbed with 1/2 inch copper thorughout

this is about the same way that OWB dealers sell pool heaters (but i think they are made with stainless steel) i jsut thought i would try it with black pipe and see how it went. this will be winter number 11, i hope it holds out for another 1 or 2 years to give me time to scrounge up enough stainless to make a new one.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:08:02 PM »

Willie, my Hardy has a 60 foot coil in the stove. I figured there is 9.5 gallons of water (cold) in the pex between the stove and hot water heater, what would be the best way to circulate the water in the line?
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »

Willie, my Hardy has a 60 foot coil in the stove. I figured there is 9.5 gallons of water (cold) in the pex between the stove and hot water heater, what would be the best way to circulate the water in the line?
im not sure i follow you bull..if your stove has a water coil in it for your domestic water i think you just hook your domestic water to it ? what i built is sitting right at my hot water tank in the house.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »

Just get a DHW recirc pump.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »

im not sure i would use that attachment if i needed another pump. i think it would be cheaper in the long run to use a plate exchanger or a siphon type heater at the tank and hook into the main line? why run another pump if you dont have too?
or maybe i am not understanding  this ?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 05:55:28 AM »

I will disagree with Scott on this one. A 3/4 30 plate actually produces better hot water than a 1 inch 20 plate. I've experimented with both over the years and now exclusively use 3/4 30 plates.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 06:51:44 AM »

im not sure i would use that attachment if i needed another pump. i think it would be cheaper in the long run to use a plate exchanger or a siphon type heater at the tank and hook into the main line? why run another pump if you dont have too?
or maybe i am not understanding  this ?

I think I will change over to a plate exchanger, it will be cheaper than another pump and less to go wrong.
Thanks
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 08:25:03 AM »

I will disagree with Scott on this one. A 3/4 30 plate actually produces better hot water than a 1 inch 20 plate. I've experimented with both over the years and now exclusively use 3/4 30 plates.

But a 3/4 20 plate won't keep up with a 1" 20 plate.  I was just lookin in the heatmaster parts book and it shows a 50k btu difference.   What have you found to be reality for them?
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 02:18:30 PM »

No I use 3/4 30 plates. They seem to heat a little better than a 1 inch 20 plate, at least from my experience.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master
Pages: [1] 2