Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: insulating a crawl space  (Read 3738 times)

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
insulating a crawl space
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:09:17 AM »

Opinions wanted....
I have an addition on the back of my house (family room/laundry/bath) which is 30'x40.  It sits on poured concrete walls with a crawl space with approximatley 4 feet of head room over 2b stone lined with 6mil poly.  Originally I had carpet in the family room which i pulled up last year and replaced with pergo.  Now when the temps drop into the teens I can tell that the floor gets cold, so I am loosing heat.  What's the best way to insulate this.  My acess is through my basement....I have a wooden door and stairs leading from the basemnt to the crawl space.  I was debating....should I insulate the floor or the concret walls.  I have a heating loop that is deticated to the addition (hot water baseboard)....another option would be to add more pex and sig zag back and forth between the wooden floor joists (radiant heat)?  What would you guys do?  Not looking forward to this...the working coditions will not be pleasant, but I put this off long enough.   :'(
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: insulating a crawl space
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »

I would def do radiant heating on that side, it would take care of your issues very efficiently
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

tbone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »

I would def do radiant heating on that side, it would take care of your issues very efficiently

yeah, I think your right.  My initial thought was to just insulate the floor...but everything I've read on the net says to insulate the foundation walls...insulation under the floor will most likely cause moisture problems.  Been doing some research on radiant heat...very cool indeed.  Going to insulate the walls...then if that goes smoothly, add the radiant during the off season.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »

Look up conditioned crawl spaces. If you have a good tight moisture barrier on the floor you can insulate and seal the entire perimeter. If you seal it off tight don't forget to exchange some air down there. If you have a forced air system in the house run a small amount of your conditioned air into the space. If your floor is gappy enough the air will return to the living space. You can duct it into your return air and recirculate or you can let it vent to the outdoors. Don't just seal it tight and forget about it because it is now warm. You will have a mess from the moisture.

green

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »

The Barrier insulation is just the ticket for your project.  Can lay it on the ground and also do the perimeter with it.

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/

Lots of information on here.

tbone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:25:16 AM »

I saw that barrier type insulation on youtube.  I agree that looks like good stuff.   Where can I find some?  I didn't see any at the local chain stores.

I put my crawlspace project on hold till I replace my underground lines...going to be shelling out a lot of money for that in the near future.  Thanks for the info....
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist