Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Failed tests?  (Read 20686 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Failed tests?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »

When doing the testing they put a continuous load them so they never idled. That is the way all the gasifiers are tested too.  It gives a higher efficiency rating that way.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »

That's true that it's not real world numbers.  The test was so flawed that at times they were supposively making more btu than they were putting into the stove
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 05:46:06 AM »

My standard ncb 175 I think was around 52-54 last year when I ran it... 

I think my heatmaster 5000e is likely close to 60 based on some quick calculations, very similar to what your 325g would come in at...

Could you explain how you do the calculations please? I would like to run the numbers on my own stove.

green

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 07:39:50 AM »

I believe all of the testing is flawed and being promoted by big oil/government.  Same as with gas mileage in cars and everything else.  One EPA test they actually ran out of dry seasoned wood so of course the test was not accurate.  Testing is also incredible expensive and only one testing lab?????

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »

I believe all of the testing is flawed and being promoted by big oil/government.  Same as with gas mileage in cars and everything else.  One EPA test they actually ran out of dry seasoned wood so of course the test was not accurate.  Testing is also incredible expensive and only one testing lab?????

Where did you hear any of this?

The testing was flawed but I can assure you govt or big oil had nothing to do with that.

As far as running out of wood?  They often use a manufactured wood block that has a known moisture % and number of btu's

The test showed the stoves to be more efficient than they really were...    The EPA gas numbers I have always found to be fairly accurate
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »

My standard ncb 175 I think was around 52-54 last year when I ran it... 

I think my heatmaster 5000e is likely close to 60 based on some quick calculations, very similar to what your 325g would come in at...

Could you explain how you do the calculations please? I would like to run the numbers on my own stove.

It's not easy and you need a moisture meter...   If you go to the central boiler section you'll see where i did some number crunching for ridge kid, he didn't like the results but they were right in line with other similar models
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »

then what are the numbers for the shaver?

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »

Both efficiency and particulates depend on what you burn and how you burn them.

So I guess first of all to get sensible numbers you would have to decide what a normal scenario is.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:14 AM »

i figured if someone took the time to post this( the op ) that there would be the actual numbers the EPA came up with?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:18 AM »

Why would the EPA have come up with any numbers? This has nothing to do with them. It is the IRS that said they better stop making false claims.
I doubt they have any test results either. They probably asked Shaver for them and they didn't have any.

TheBoiler

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »

i figured if someone took the time to post this( the op ) that there would be the actual numbers the EPA came up with?

What sort of numbers were you looking for and why do you want them.

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:05 AM »

if i was led to believe that the unit i purchase was at least 75% efficient and all of a sudden it is found to be not, i would like to know what efficiency it actually is.
i see Scott has ran the efficiency rating numbers on other units and am surprised that the shaver efficiency numbers haven't showed up. so that is the numbers i'm looking for and what i do with the is my business.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »

if i was led to believe that the unit i purchase was at least 75% efficient and all of a sudden it is found to be not, i would like to know what efficiency it actually is.
i see Scott has ran the efficiency rating numbers on other units and am surprised that the shaver efficiency numbers haven't showed up. so that is the numbers i'm looking for and what i do with the is my business.

I sure hope you weren't led to beleive you were buying a stove that is truly 75% efficient.  In reality your around 40.  The half inch firebox is super hard on efficiency by itself, in actual testing for every 1/8" you go up in thickness past 1/4" you lose 12-13% if effieciency.  In these stoves it's about transferring heat into the water quickly, it either goes in the water or out the stack, thicker metal slows down the rate of transfer and therefore kills efficiency. 

To truly get to 75%, you would definitely have to have a gassifier as there is no way a conventional stove could ever come remotely close to those numbers
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

TheBoiler

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »

Somewhere in the 25% to 30% range.

A friend of mine has a somewhat similar OWB and we reckon that he is getting near 30%. He does not have much idle time, really needs the next size up.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »

Boiler, it could be that low it's just hard enough to get folks to beleive there around 40.  Ridges cb 5036 was around 48% with the best of products he could buy.  Then if you through in a 25% reduction based on 1/2" vs 1/4".  That would bring it down to the range you are talking about. 
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5