Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: insulated pex  (Read 13488 times)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: insulated pex
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »

I've had my ThermoPex in the ground for 5-6 years, and I think it is getting waterlogged. 3 weeks ago when we got about a 1/2 inch of snow  I had about 30' on the boiler end that the snow melted about as quick as it hit the ground. That has never happened before. My wood consumption should be going down a lot more than it is with this warmer weather. I'd have never guessed that would or could have been an issue. The ThermoPex WILL be coming out of the ground this spring.
   My question for you guru's- can I pull it out of the ground, then stuff it in some 6" pvc, put it back in the trench, and then build a 1' box around it with blue-board like Dean187 did? Or is that stuff junk once it is waterlogged?
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »

I've had my ThermoPex in the ground for 5-6 years, and I think it is getting waterlogged. 3 weeks ago when we got about a 1/2 inch of snow  I had about 30' on the boiler end that the snow melted about as quick as it hit the ground. That has never happened before. My wood consumption should be going down a lot more than it is with this warmer weather. I'd have never guessed that would or could have been an issue. The ThermoPex WILL be coming out of the ground this spring.
   My question for you guru's- can I pull it out of the ground, then stuff it in some 6" pvc, put it back in the trench, and then build a 1' box around it with blue-board like Dean187 did? Or is that stuff junk once it is waterlogged?

I would think it's junk after it's water logged...  Thats the problem I've heard of logstor, apparently thermopex too. 

The thing I like about 5 wrap is 5 radiant barriers around the pipe. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »

I don't want to start a pi$$ match , logostor is made from closed cell insulation.  Closed cell insulation won't soak up water.   I actually took some of the insulation when i was trimming mine and put in a bucket of water because i was curious about this also. No weight change.

All that set aside we are all trying to accomplish the same thing minimal heat loss.

The foam breaks down over time, of course it likely won't change weight in a few hours or days.  But a guy from logstor himself told me it loses 10% of it's efficiency in the first year.  They said that process was slowed down by a membrane they use now just under the skin of the pipe
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »

Styrofoam is closed cell and I have removed it from roofs and it will hold water and when it does it gets very heavy and don't release it very quick.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »

cut and paste from a manufacture's site...Title was...is th is foam water resistant (closed cell type)

below is the cut and paste

Yes, but with the following caveat. The foams that we sell are considered closed-cell, which means that each cell that makes up the foam structure is completely closed off from surrounding cells which prevents it from acting like a sponge. It is completely safe for this foam to be in contact with water for hours/days/weeks and even months with no adverse effects. However, it should never be submerged in contact with water permanently. Over a period of years the water contact can begin to soften the foam and cause it to lose its closed-cell status. This foam is designed primarily to be used as an insurance policy in case of damage/holes that could cause a vessel to lose buoyancy. Pinhole sized openings would essentially have no effect on the foam since the amount of exposure is so minimal but you should always make repairs as soon as possible to keep the foam effectiveness as good as possible. This will be the case with all after market closed-cell polyurethane foams and even manufacturer installed foams.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Hydronix

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Effecta
  • OWF Model: 35kw
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »

I seen a nice pex connection at the OWB. There was a leak for some time, running right down ( vertically) the exposed pipe and into the insulated line. The end of the insul pex was not sealed and being exposed, even rain or snow could have gotten to it. Uponor Ecoflex Thermo pipe and insulation doesn't get waterlogged, if your pipe doesn't have a 50 year warranty and  guarantee then you might want to keep looking. Many knock off pipes make claims but have NO warranty or guarantee. Always look for ASTM approved materials

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »

I use pipe covers, it's a rubber boot/seal that slides over the supply and return on the back of the stove and slides snugly over the drain tile.  It keeps drips or possible leaks from leaking into the pex package.

Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

newmanab

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »

Interesting thread.

I only soaked for a couple of days. Marty i'd be curious to know if you find anything with your pipe when you dig it up.

swede

• OWF Brand: shaver 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:41 PM »

I use pipe covers, it's a rubber boot/seal that slides over the supply and return on the back of the stove and slides snugly over the drain tile.  It keeps drips or possible leaks from leaking into the pex package.

I used silicone to completely seal the end of the tile in case of a leak at the stove.  A leak could run right down the pex pipe and fill the tile in short order.  Where can a person get the pipe covers? 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:03:13 PM by swede »
the smoke don't mean its broke

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »

Badger started sending covers with all the 2 line pipe last fall.

swede

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »

My pipe came with solid covers but didn't think to adapt them for the installation.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »

There are markings on them for different size pipe. You are supposed to cut them at the right line and slide over the pex.

swede

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

There are markings on them for different size pipe. You are supposed to cut them at the right line and slide over the pex.

Thank you.....Seems like we learn something every day from this site!

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »

The covers I use are soft rubber and fit over the pipe tightly, it seals it actually

Looks like 2 big cow tits lol
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Hydronix

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Effecta
  • OWF Model: 35kw
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 07:34:18 AM »

http://www.uponorpro.com/Technical-Support/Specs-and-Submittals.aspx

Here are some good ones, just verify size per your application.
Just a few tests for the bubble wrap
Failure to meet
UL 181 specified use description per labeling
ASTM C518 or C177 insulation rated claims were only 1.1 R
Use as a thermal barrier failed  UL 1715 & UL 1040
Max claimed temp of 180* but failure recorded at 120*
Much of the product not labeled or not labeled correctly to UL or ASTM standards
Something to verify before purchase per application
Pages: 1 [2] 3