Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: trench question  (Read 2651 times)

hpowers

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400
    • View Profile
trench question
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:17 AM »

any recomendations on putting sand in trench then lines then backfilling with sand before dirt
Stihl- 310,180,441,261,271
Huske 28 ton splitter

IH 826
Honda Foreman
And 4 kids to help
chevy 2500 hd

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Re: trench question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »

I've been thinking about doing that as well.  As far as how good it works though, I have no idea.  I think it would prevent damage to the corrugated pipe (for my situation) instead of having clumps of dirt, rock etc.  I'm guessing that sand has better insulating properties than regular soil does as well.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »

If you dug your trench with a trencher and the dirt that came out of the trench was "fine" then I would just use that.  If it has a lot of large lumps in it then I would use the sand.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »

if you are not below the frost line then perhaps sand would be a good idea? i have had to weld car hoist tubes that have been in the groung less than 10 years due to the acid in clay and a stone rubbing against the tube (i know you are not using steel lines) this is just an oservation
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 07:18:28 AM »

I used the central boiler insulated pipe I back filled with dirt not large rocks in a few places I am less then I foot and all winter the snow never melted where the pipe.
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

ThatGUY

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: eClassic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

I think the sand creates a soft (ROCK FREE) zone that the piping can run in, hould also help with settling/movement.  When I installed tubing in the ground, I ended up between 6'-8' down, so I could get under the footing of the garage, and stay well below the frost line (North MN).  LOVE backhoe attachment for my John Deere 4320, still hate the 3' rock I FOUND, after I bent the lift cylinder

historichouseguy

• OWF Brand: Central
  • OWF Model: classic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 07:23:16 PM »

Hope that pipe under the footing does not cool off to much. we have found 12-18 " is plenty deep in the east where code for frost is 42". Deeper sets get cooled by ground water. Check with others in your area. We cored the foundation at 12 - 18 " no problems with temps.

ThatGUY

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: eClassic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »

I don't have to worry about ground water/water table, we sit on top of a ridge that is all gravel and sand, once you get past the black dirt.  But thanks for the heads up about the ground water.  Also forgot to mention the jacket on the distribution tubing is water proof.

We ended up burying the pipes that deep (6'-8') so we could get below the frost line (4'), recommended by supplier.