Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 20 yr old OWB just failed: recommend brand/model to replace?  (Read 6387 times)

themaddhatter

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: homemade
    • View Profile
20 yr old OWB just failed: recommend brand/model to replace?
« on: November 27, 2012, 07:35:46 AM »

Loading my homemade OWB this morning, when all the sudden the firebox became a smokey steam bath.....

Drag everything out, and a very LARGE fountain of water is coming up dead center of the stove.  >:(

This after a major plumbing rework made the system run like a TOP.  Now the OWB is dead..... Sometimes life is a challenge indeed.

Would just get in there and scab a new plate in, but this is a 20 year old OWB which I had scabbed 5 years ago when I moved in, and it was pretty punky then, so I sealed it up & bedded the floor with refractory cement.  Seeing as I got 5 more years out of something that is well past it's service life, it is time to replace.  Add to the fact that it is in the teens/20s here in MN, so there is really no way to get in and fix it right.

So, I will have to bite the bullet, get a loan, and get a new OWB pronto!  My backup is a dino-bones burner older than I am & costs a king's ransom to heat this 100 year old farm house.

Would like recommendations on units or brands.  Here is what I am replacing:

- System (including pipes/exchanger) holds 375 gallons water
- Prefer simpler electronics (aquastat or non-proprietary controls)
- Don't care if gassification (in farm house with no neighbors)
- Non-sheltered (i.e. free-standing insulated) unit
- Good PRICE compared to features

Any recommendations ASAP would be really helpful, so I can find a dealer, get pricing, get a loan, etc etc etc before winter gets much worse  :(

Also any dealers to recommend in North Central MN would be also appreciated.

Shane

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: 20 yr old OWB just failed: recommend brand/model to replace?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:09:24 AM »

I like Central Boiler.  I've had mine for less than 3 years but my brother has had his for at least 15 with no problems.  And he burns garbage, never tests, changes or treats the water, uses no AshTrol,  leaves his door open to start fires, then boils it over when he forgets to shut it.

I have the 6046 and he has the earlier, lower to the ground, version of that same size.
Hudson, WI

themaddhatter

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »

I like Central Boiler.  I've had mine for less than 3 years but my brother has had his for at least 15 with no problems.  And he burns garbage, never tests, changes or treats the water, uses no AshTrol,  leaves his door open to start fires, then boils it over when he forgets to shut it.

I have the 6046 and he has the earlier, lower to the ground, version of that same size.

Thanks Scratch

Seems that Central is the "big" name in boilers (may have the most units out there).  Doesn't always mean the best, but is a good benchmark.

Did you go through a dealer in the Hudson area?  If you don't mind me asking, what was you unit's cost?  I am an hour north of the twin cities on I35 (pretty much midpoint TC and Duluth).

Rockarosa

• OWF Brand: Pro-Fab
  • OWF Model: Cozyburn MS 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »

I'm on my 5th year with an Empire MS 250 Cozyburn, made  by Pro -Fab in Canada. This furnace runs flawless, some of the best money that I ever spent. Home fuel oil bill was averaging $600 a month and the house was chilly. I hav'nt bought fuel oil in 3 years now.
New Holland T C 30

themaddhatter

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:08:17 AM »

I'm on my 5th year with an Empire MS 250 Cozyburn, made  by Pro -Fab in Canada. This furnace runs flawless, some of the best money that I ever spent. Home fuel oil bill was averaging $600 a month and the house was chilly. I hav'nt bought fuel oil in 3 years now.

Have a call into that dealer (about an hour and a half away) but they guy I need is at lunch.

Talked with the local Central boiler rep, and his pricing to me for a 6048 is just under $9K delivered (only a half hour drive).

Am working with the bank to see what we can float, because burning diesel will get pricey FAST

ewsmith

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

I have a CB 6046 as does my neighbor.  He burn all trash for the past six years, does not check anything and no problems.  I love the unit as you can feed it anything and it just keeps trucking without fail.  <9k for a 6046 then get it hooked up ASAP before winter really comes.

Is CB more pricey than others?  Sure it is.  But you get what you pay for.

When I wanted to know what stove to purchase I spoke with a bunch of people in the upper pen of Michigan as they see some of the harshest winter in the Kewanaw Pen....CB was the winner hands down.  Dry wood, green wood, wet wood, trash...it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your troubles.

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

You could look at a woodmaster. I like mine a lot.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter

scarface77

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »

Hey bud I just purchased a earth mountain man 500 and couldn't be more happier. It has a half inch fire box the thickest in the industry and its built like a tank. Total investment is around $9500. bucks. It's very east to run and maintain. They sell everything you need to hook up and install. Hope this helps out and check out there website www.earthoutdoorfurnace.com. With the half inch fire box and option I ordered the shaker grates I burn coal also.
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnace Mountain Man 500
Huskee 35 ton log splitter
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »

I looked at primarily Central boiler and portage and main, went with the p&m due to the extra fue gas pass, forced draft, and ash pan.  A little more pricy than the central, but got it on a show special sale so about the difference for me when I got it.
North Central Ohio

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI

jb1978

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 300 HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »

Tennessee outdoor furnace. Check them out, very well built in my opinion.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »

Check out Aqua-Therm...They are made in your neck of the woods!....Easy, simple.. six yrs and counting..No problems here! Can buy it unsheltered..Closed system...No need of exchangers unless hot air of course..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »

You may check with http://www.hardymn.com/ and ask about his heatmaster furnaces. I have been a dealer for heatmaster for many years and I think you would like them. Fairly simple well built design without much to go wrong but still an efficient unit.  If his prices are similar to mine they should be able to beat the Central price.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

themaddhatter

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I am familiar with Aqua-therm (bought my pex-al-pex from them).  And Central boilers are also made here in MN.

Will check around on the other models.

Spent today cleaning out the firebox, draining ~ 375 gallons of water, talking to the bank, etc.  Didn't do a damn thing I was "going" to do  :-[

Am hoping the firebox dries out enough to take a good look at it, but I have a feeling that I am not going to be able to scab anything in (was pretty "iffy" five years ago cutting back to solid metal)

If it failed at the END of the season, I would just build one, but I know I just won't be able to fab a unit and get it in place before we hit the polar plunge.

rick w

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage&main
  • OWF Model: portage&main ml 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 07:16:03 AM »

maddhatter goodmorning just thought i would let you know of one other top notch boiler no one semed to mention  portage& main i have had one for 3 yrs now and cant belive the small amount of wood it consumes no tubes to punch just scrape the smoke chamber once a week depends on how much you burn.these things are not just a woodboiler there a woodburning machine. iam sure that the person i bought mine from would take the time to talk to you give him a call#1-7152146683 his name is dave jacoby at strawbalefarms.com check him out. portage&main is superior to all other boilers and the quality of workmanship shows just at a glance checkem out before you buy. happy burning rick
Pages: [1] 2