Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What would you get and why?  (Read 10983 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: What would you get and why?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »

I don't even think it's debatable about whether hardy's are efficient.  The whole design doesn't tend on the side of efficiency, when you see flames coming out the top all the time, here is your sign. 

There are many hardy's in my area, nearly everyone was installed poorly and folks burn 15-20 truck loads per winter on the average home.  I've replaced several with the heatmaster 3000, folks said it cut there wood use almost in half, some of that was due to the stove itself, but a lot was due to a proper installation and not using frost king insulation inside schedule 40 lol

The stack temps out of central boiler and empyre would be about the same, same design onthe conventional stoves, heatmaster stack temps would be very similar unless it was an e model.  The hardy with a hole at the highest point and very little to slow heat loss tends to have crazy high stack temps
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »

I think most Hardy owners are happy because their house is warm. They simply have no idea that they burning twice as much wood as is necessary do to the inefficiency of the design. There in nothing efficient about watching a flame torch out the chimney, but the owner is warm and gets a lot of exercise for free too! Less chainsaw gas, bar oil, truck/wood hauling gas....ouch. At least they are not paying the oil or propane man.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »

Once things get so inefficient it is almost better to pay propane. Just my 2 cents

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »

Time is money and I only have so much time to piss around.

creeker

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homemade
  • OWF Model: Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »

Maybe my friend just got lucky then.  Seems no one else cares for the Hardy.  His heats his 3500+ house, hot water and work garage and doesn't burn anymore wood than anyone else around here.  No flames shooting out the top of his either.  Strange...

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »

Maybe my friend just got lucky then.  Seems no one else cares for the Hardy.  His heats his 3500+ house, hot water and work garage and doesn't burn anymore wood than anyone else around here.  No flames shooting out the top of his either.  Strange...

There is so many variables, heat demand of his home, how well he takes care of his wood, type of wood, it's just really hard to use one instance as a cover..
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

creeker

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homemade
  • OWF Model: Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 06:38:18 PM »

There is so many variables, heat demand of his home, how well he takes care of his wood, type of wood, it's just really hard to use one instance as a cover..
Like I said, I am new to all this so by know means am I very knowledgeable on the subject, but he has had great success with his Hardy.  As a matter of fact his wood just lays out in the open uncovered beside the stove. 

If I had it to do over I would have worried less about the firebox capacity and water capacity and all that and worried more with the burning efficiency.  I load mine twice a day, which is not bad, but it sure seems like I go through a lot of wood.

teburman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »

I got the official word from one of the NYS DEC officials concerning replacing existing OWB units. Replacement units must meet all of the regulations as if it were a new install. My installation does not meet setback requirements and I do not have large enough of a lot to comply. So I will learn to weld and repair the unit this summer. Oh well, I hope to get fifteen years out of it – long enough to pay off the mortgages!

It's a good life if you don't weaken.

Bloomingdale - in the Adirondack Mountains of NY.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »

I got the official word from one of the NYS DEC officials concerning replacing existing OWB units. Replacement units must meet all of the regulations as if it were a new install. My installation does not meet setback requirements and I do not have large enough of a lot to comply. So I will learn to weld and repair the unit this summer. Oh well, I hope to get fifteen years out of it – long enough to pay off the mortgages!

Can you not take your sheet metal ect off of your old one and put on a new one???   They would never look any closer than that, serial numbers would match and everything
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 2 [3]