Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking at the BL 3444  (Read 2268 times)

gary

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: EKO
  • OWF Model: EKO
    • View Profile
Looking at the BL 3444
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »

I’m a newbie here on this site and am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Ulitmizer BL 3444. I have been using an Orlan 40 gasser for the past 13 years; I was using it all year round. It started to leak excessively in mid Feb and I shut it down, “OUCH” had to buy oil. I am looking to put the BL in my barn which is 300 ft. away from the 6000 sq ft house I heat. I also am going to heat an above ground pool. The gasser worked well but I want to get away from the dry wood issue and also need a bigger fire box had to feed mine too often when the temps got below 25 degrees (I live in western PA). I have in floor hydronic heat in the basement (daylight basement) and first floor. With hot water baseboard on the 3rd floor.  For hot water I use a hot water maker. I am open for any suggestions you guys might have on the install. Also, what you think would be the best in ground insulated pex and the size of the tubing you suggest for the run from the barn. 

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Looking at the BL 3444
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »

OH BOY, here we go again, When you say barn, could you describe your BARN, I think FIRE HAZARD any time somebody says they wish to put a wood boiler in a barn!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

gary

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »

Well I had the gasser in my house..actually it is a 21x 25 addition on to the barn..

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:30:39 AM »

Gary, as you can see in my older posts, I am against putting any wood boiler in what we in Maine consider a barn, to me a barn is a wooden structure with a wooden floor used to house livestock, feed , equipment and such, fire hazard is always my biggest concern, if this describes your barn please think it through, the boiler if placed inside a shelter every precaution should be taken for fire safety, all the other stuff can be easily worked out but that is a priority.

gary

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:59:38 AM »

Ok I appreciate your concern..now getting to the subject..what Insulated pex are the best and pipe size would I need to run 300 ft. I'm looking at thermo pex,logstor and maxx-r in the 1" size. Any thoughts on this?

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »

I personally am a big proponent of Logstor for a couple of reasons, first the inside diameter being just over 1 inch for what we call 1 inch, everything else that I know of is measured nominal pipe sizing ( outside ) and second reason, I have never heard of a failure with it in any way, I have installed thousands of feet myself, great quality product.