Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Underground pipe options  (Read 12486 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Underground pipe options
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »

Is there anything pre-made of high quality like that that uses 1-1/4" or larger pipe?  Sometimes you need more volume or would rather use a smaller pump, or in my case I did large lines to a multi-port manifold in the basement and ran everything to everywhere from there using the proper sized lines I needed for each part.  The garage is detached but close to the house and running a set of lines from the boiler to the house and from the boiler to the garage would more than double the amount of line that I needed to just go from the boiler to the house with large lines and from the house to the garage with smaller lines.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »

LOGSTOR
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »

Buy the best you can afford, if you go with wrapped lines do a double tile for added protection.   If you want foam filled lines take slims advice, logstor is twice the product as thermopex and only a dollar more per foot
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 02:59:21 PM »

Logstor has larger pipe also available, I and I don't think Scott stocks it but it is there, not sure if you were aware of it. Scott Crab is the contact north of the border for special orders, you still must buy from dealer but he can get what you need.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »

Logstor has larger pipe also available, I and I don't think Scott stocks it but it is there, not sure if you were aware of it. Scott Crab is the contact north of the border for special orders, you still must buy from dealer but he can get what you need.

We have the larger size logstor as well. 

The regular dual flex pex is equivalent to 1 1/4 ich regular pex
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 03:54:41 PM »

Looking thru the Uponor catalog - they have 1.5", 2" and 2.5" Thermal twin. Can you afford it is the next question, cause they aren't giving it away if you know what I mean

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 05:37:58 PM »

Looking thru the Uponor catalog - they have 1.5", 2" and 2.5" Thermal twin. Can you afford it is the next question, cause they aren't giving it away if you know what I mean

Be prepared for over 25/ft
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »

Be prepared for over 25/ft

Like I said, they aren't just giving it away!!!   I could read off some the list prices out of the catalog, but I think a few people on this forum might tip over from hearing those numbers.

TOTALLY UNRELATED: Bigger the pipe, bigger the $$$ - was looking at McMaster the other day for a brass elbow, $$ difference between sizes is crazy; 1" was like $15, 1.5" was like $30 and a 4" was over $300. :o  Thank GOD I don't have to plumb in 4"

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »

Anybody use the stuff from Badger Insulated Pipe?  http://www.badgerinsulatedpipe.com

I need to replace my underground lines and will either goto 1 pexalpex or a 1 1/4 non barrier. Plan on increasing heating needs next winter and the 1 inch won't cut it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 06:24:13 AM »

Has anybody ever successfully changed their pipe by having whatever you used inside another pipe?

Just wondering as we install our own drain tile here at the farm and with the corrugations used on the pipe trying to slide it thru another piece of corrugated tile might be a joke at best. Maybe if the inner one was slid thru a 6" smooth bore plastic sewer pipe?

I also know the stuff my cousin installed (from Central Boiler perhaps) is stiff enough that again you'd play holy hell trying to get it to slide around any corners.

I put mine through smooth bore 8" culvert pipe and 8" schedule 40 where I'd drive over it. I couldn't see how I'd get it through 6" schedule 40. The rest is in sand. Thermopex 1" from my dealer was $9.50 a foot.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »

It is also possible to use 2 sets of the smaller pex. And still be cheaper. A lot of our wholesale houses no longer will even order it. The geothermal places are a good source here, without getting bent over
Michigan Thumber

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »

When I installed mine over a decade ago I made my own pipe, took a piece of 4" sewer pipe, wrapped that in as  many layers of foil bubble insulation that would go ever it and still fit in a 6" piece of sewer pipe. Instead of a 90 i used two 45's about a foot apart, filled those with closed cell expanding foam. Original plan was to be able to replace the lines at a later date, for the first decade I had no snow melt whatsoever, the last couple of years I noticed the corner is melting snow. I think what happened is the inner pipe couldn't handle the heat from the pex and over time it has actually shrunk and I think the corner pulled apart somewhere. My thinking is that because when I installed it I cut it flush a few inches from the basement wall, now the inner pipe is pulled in a few inches.

I know what it cost me then to make then and with what some of the quality 3 or 5 wrap can be bought for now I won't take the time to make it again. No matter what I buy I definitely plan on placing it in a sleeve of some kind, most likely a piece of 6 or 8" sewer pipe. Will need sch 40 on the part that goes under the drive, have tandem and tri axle grain trucks and a semi that will be routinely driving over it.

If I remember correctly I had about 7 degrees of heat loss measured at the boiler supply and return but that was also going thru a sidearm on the domestic water heater then thru the water to air HE.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:44:25 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 07:50:39 AM »

I put my logstor in a 6in solid corrugated drain pipe and then I put a 20 foot chunk of 8 inch culvert over that where I drive. I had to pull the 6 in over the logstor with my 4 wheeler winch took 3 people but it worked well. I layed the logstor out straight for 3 days tied it off on both ends and pulled it tight that helped a lot kept it somewhat straight. I dug the lines up once there was no way I was going to again for 250 bucks I have a double tile pipe with a triple tile in the middle. If that busts I am going to go get a pellet boiler.

harley

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »

So I guess no mater what pipe you use you need to bury it well below the freeze line. 

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »

So I guess no mater what pipe you use you need to bury it well below the freeze line.

No....  It reallly dont amount to much.  Just dont go down into super wet soil where water is running into the ditch
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 [2] 3