Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Underground pipe options  (Read 12487 times)

ffbare

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Re: Underground pipe options
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »

I haven't read much on height changes if you install a owb on the bottom of a hill and you use an 1 1/4 pex or something like that would it be a big deal as far as pumping water uphill your return would almost act as a suction maybe? I'm thinking , maybe 10 feet lower ground maybe 50 foot run.  Also (I'm new at this) would the water leak out of the boiler if the pump stopped running because the boiler is lower than the line to the house. Thanks guys
Polk wisconsin.   Husky saws, 27ton husky splitter,  gehl skid, tb016 excavator

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 04:54:23 AM »

Install a plate exchanger at the wood boiler and you will have no issues with pumping or air period.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »

I haven't read much on height changes if you install a owb on the bottom of a hill and you use an 1 1/4 pex or something like that would it be a big deal as far as pumping water uphill your return would almost act as a suction maybe? I'm thinking , maybe 10 feet lower ground maybe 50 foot run.  Also (I'm new at this) would the water leak out of the boiler if the pump stopped running because the boiler is lower than the line to the house. Thanks guys

This is where pressurized systems have the advantage, zero worries about water level , flat plates and associated problems of elevation differences
Michigan Thumber

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »

To each his own sprinter, what happens when your pressurized boiler sitting outside loses all power, have you ever seen a farmer that instead of replacing that 15 dollar relief valve instead puts a 3/4 inch plug in it. pressurized boilers have their place and outside is not the place and if they are installed inside a home they must have the proper dump zones capable of dissipating the heat without the use of power, I put a non pressurized boiler on my home and shop for a reason and that is SAFETY.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:51 AM »

If memory serves, my reading of Central Boiler manual  :bag:; again I admit to reading manual - I'm sorry.  It is best if you can keep all of your open loop piping below the minimum water level of the OWB; you will lessen the change of getting air bubbles stuck in the lines and vapor locks occuring.

*** If a portion of open loop is above overflow of the OWB and leaks, water level will more than likely drop to lowest open portion of the loop (probably the overflow on the OWB)***   :(

I personally have open loop from OWB (CB eClassis 2400) to mechanical room then Flat plate to closed loop for in slab and under subfloor.  Closed loop systems are nice if you want to run a glycol mix (and not have to mix entire water jacket 200+ gallons with $$$/gallon antifreeze) or radiant application where a portion o application is above overflow/high point of open loop OWB.  Remember with any HX you incur a penalty in temperature (as in any energy tranfer loss are inevitable) and typically loss of GPM (generally HX have high pressure drops)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »

If memory serves, my reading of Central Boiler manual  :bag:; again I admit to reading manual - I'm sorry.  It is best if you can keep all of your open loop piping below the minimum water level of the OWB; you will lessen the change of getting air bubbles stuck in the lines and vapor locks occuring.

*** If a portion of open loop is above overflow of the OWB and leaks, water level will more than likely drop to lowest open portion of the loop (probably the overflow on the OWB)***   :(

I personally have open loop from OWB (CB eClassis 2400) to mechanical room then Flat plate to closed loop for in slab and under subfloor.  Closed loop systems are nice if you want to run a glycol mix (and not have to mix entire water jacket 200+ gallons with $$$/gallon antifreeze) or radiant application where a portion o application is above overflow/high point of open loop OWB.  Remember with any HX you incur a penalty in temperature (as in any energy tranfer loss are inevitable) and typically loss of GPM (generally HX have high pressure drops)

So any recommendations on how to run pex lines up in the rafters of our shop for modine style heaters?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

mtoll

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »

Im in the process of installing my OWB and have decided I need to place it in a area where Im about 6 feet short of Logstor pipe which means I would have to splice the pipe underground 3 or 4 feet before it enters my house.  Any suggestions  or opinions
Wife Rodeos, have 5 Barrel racing horses
Ride HD Road Glide
Vet  USN / USMC

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »

Im in the process of installing my OWB and have decided I need to place it in a area where Im about 6 feet short of Logstor pipe which means I would have to splice the pipe underground 3 or 4 feet before it enters my house.  Any suggestions  or opinions

Yikes, that's not good.  Don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't matter because the foam won't absorb water, because it will over time...

Logstor does carry stuff for splicing tho, although it's not cheap
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mtoll

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »

Dont  guess I would have to move it,  what kind of cost to splice it
Wife Rodeos, have 5 Barrel racing horses
Ride HD Road Glide
Vet  USN / USMC

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »

Dont  guess I would have to move it,  what kind of cost to splice it

I would bet it is less costly to move the stove closer to make up the distance.  ;)  Splicing is costly and introduces a potential failure point in the future (installing a continuous run of Logstor pipe underground in the first place is to avoid any connections, couplings, splicing, etc.).  Ground shifts over time so I would recommend moving the stove itself.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:01:32 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD
Pages: 1 2 [3]