Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: We have FIRE!  (Read 4257 times)

JSuther69

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 300HE
    • View Profile
We have FIRE!
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:46:19 AM »

It's been a long process but finally we are heating with fire.  The guys at TOF are great and the furnace is Awsome. 

Jim

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: We have FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »

Congrats! We all know though that you actually aren't burning without some photographic posted evidence! ;)

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »

By the way, could you give us some insight on how the HE model is constructed? It looks like the SF model is a normal firebox with flue straight out. The HE model looks to have some different flue ports in the back of the firebox maybe? They also claim the furnace to be 'full gassification' even though it appears that it is not what anyone would consider a modern gassification furnace and it is certainly not down draft gassification. Anyway hope you like it!

Michael

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnaces
  • OWF Model: 400 HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »

HE has two flue exhaust just above the grate, goes thru the back wall and up thru the water jacket. They then join and single flue pipe out of the top. I do not have experience with other brands but I like my 400 HE

JSuther69

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »

The Hoss 300HE indeed has two exhaust ports just above the grate in the rear of the fire box.  This allows the off gasses to accumulate in the top of the firebox, which is re burned making even more heat.  While this might not be "modern" gasification, it does the job.  I watched this process tonight and it is mesmerizing to watch.  The exhaust ports are also routed thru the water box allowing more heat to be absorbed by the water. And what Michael said. (Thanks)

I really like this furnace.  It is no frills and it's not pretty, kinda like me.  It looks good in the back yard too.  The simplicity of its construction and the heft it has we're major selling points for me.  I have designed everything from glass lined reactors, pressure vessels to heat exchangers and the like in my career, TOF met my expectations of how a furnace should be built.

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »

Looks awesome! I really like the big cement pad. Hope you got some more wood coming brother! That much would last me about a month in December! Thanks for the pics by the way, always love to see them.

ginndt

• OWF Brand: Home Made
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »

Good looking install are you heat the DHW yet?

JSuther69

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »

Thanks.  I have more wood where that came from.  The pad will hold 4 cords and there is more on it now since I took the picture.  About 2.5 cords + the 14yo has a big pile to split up.  The split you see is one cord.  I have trees down from summer bull dozing just itching to get cut up. 

(Ginndt) I do have it hooked to DHW and let me tell you, the showers are great!  I have a 80 gal WH and it really hasn't been a problem in the past.  Good piece of mind that the 14year old won't run me out of hot water.  You'll have to stop by to see it one day.  :)