Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Will this rubber hose work?  (Read 2424 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Will this rubber hose work?
« on: December 29, 2013, 05:41:55 PM »

I'm trying to find some rubber hose to use on the back of my stove to avoid extra 90's.  Will this hose on the Lowe's website work?  If it will, how should I attach it to the crimp fitting properly?  Thanks!

Here is the link:  http://www.lowes.com/pd_443430-104-SHNL10_4294822036__?productId=4330526&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D2&facetInfo=
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Will this rubber hose work?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »

It probably would, but I don't think it would last that long.  My thought is do it right and do it ONE TIME

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »

I agree with avoiding temporary fixes but there are some merits to using hose like less 90's and flexibility, my boiler came with hoses that attach to the water cooled door, I have had problems with the rubber hoses not lasting and leaking but recently upgraded the hoses to commercial truck hoses:
http://www.hbdthermoid.com/images/industrial_hose/Heavy-Duty%20Hose%20and%20Marine%20Products%20(THBOS_19615).pdf
 Thought about using braided hosing like on a hot rod but flexibility is limited:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Fittings-Hoses/Part-Type/Hoses-Radiator/Radiator-Hose-Position/Upper-hose/Hose-Material/Braided-stainless-steel/
 I just did this so I can't speak for how long they will last, it's for sure more money than the rubber hoses. The clamps are not all the same either and the better ones cost more also. If flexibility is not the issue, pex is still probably the best and cheapest way to go.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »

Thanks guys.   I saw a thread on here where someone had used rubber house on their stove to make it easier to run. I just figured with it being used on radiators that it would hold up pretty good.   Flexibility is part of the problem.   I can make it work with 2 elbows but I just figured if I could cut one elbow from the line then I would.   Thanks for your input!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 11:56:45 PM »

Are you trying to avoid the elbows because of head loss or to make the install easier?
If you use the larger elbows (threaded vs pex) you will get very little head loss. Heater hose is not as smooth inside as pex so you don't gain as much as you would with bending pex to avoid 90's.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:31:13 AM »

Are you trying to avoid the elbows because of head loss or to make the install easier?
If you use the larger elbows (threaded vs pex) you will get very little head loss. Heater hose is not as smooth inside as pex so you don't gain as much as you would with bending pex to avoid 90's.

I'm trying to avoid a little bit of both.  What fittings are you talking about?  Are they the plastic ones that have the end cap that you put around the pex, put it in the fitting and then screw the cap on to tighten it?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »

My heatmor has rubber hoses on the firebox door since there's a water jacket inside of the firebox door.  I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I agree that bending pex properly or using quality elbows is probably a better idea in your situation.