Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: RUNNING BETTER THAN EVER and USAGE AMOUNTS  (Read 2931 times)

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
RUNNING BETTER THAN EVER and USAGE AMOUNTS
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:37:14 AM »

This is my 7th winter running my empyre (aspen) OWB and somehow I have learned how to run it. I struggled the first two years and took notes
every night on how i loaded it and what problems I had. It was always something. So far this has been a really good winter. I think the keys are:

1) letting the fire burn down all the way and not mixing the coals and ashes to much.
2) I push a thin rod down the two front slots from time to time to keep that clean.
3) I use good clean and dry split wood. I mix big pieces with little ones and a couple round ones as well. 24" long.
4) I also spray marvels mystery oil into my fan when it starts to stick.
5) I do not use the flapper kit on my blower anymore.
6) My water temp is set for 183 degrees.

I live in Maine and this has been our coldest February on record and I still get almost 12 hours burn time on one load. This includes
my hot water. I started running this boiler at Christmas and I have used about 3.5 cords of wood thus far. My house is 3100 sq feet
plus my full basement is above 70 degrees as well. I plan on using another 3 cords from now through may 1st. That would be a
total of 6.5 cords for 4 months. That would be 1.6 cords per month or .4 cords per week. This is more than the last few years
but it has been colder as well.

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
Re: RUNNING BETTER THAN EVER and USAGE AMOUNTS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 09:37:53 AM »

good job !  ...this is my 1st winter and my stove has had me "over the barrel" more than once ! But I'm learning fast and soon it will be her turn  :P ...