Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Aquastat for high limit cutoff?  (Read 2966 times)

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Aquastat for high limit cutoff?
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »

I am well into my 2nd season of heating with my homemade OWB, and very happy with it.

When I built it I put a 190 degree snap disc limit switch in the fan circuit.  I either put it in the wrong spot (where it is "seeing" a heat hotter than my aquastat) or it is kicking out at a lower temp (defective), and kicking the fan out at too low a temp, so I took it out of the circuit within days of firing up the unit last year and have been running without a dedicated high limit. 

I am using the common Ranco aquastat for my fan control now and was wondering...can I use another identical ranco aquastat for a high limit switch on the fan, just in case the first aquasat malfunctioned?

And if so, how would I wire it in?

Or is there another way to have a high limit switch on the fan that would be better?
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Aquastat for high limit cutoff?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »

yes you can butI would use caution on where the probe is placed, your snap disc may be telling you that flow rates have decreased resulting in a hot spot on the boiler.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »

yes you can butI would use caution on where the probe is placed, your snap disc may be telling you that flow rates have decreased resulting in a hot spot on the boiler.

Thanks Slim but not sure what you mean by "flow rates may have decreased"?

The snap disc was only in the circuit for a day or 3 so I don't think the flow rates changed in that amount of time. 

I put the snap disc on top of the water tank, about 6" back from the plate the door is mounted on. 

If I go with a 2nd aquastat for high limit I can put the probe in a bung on the back of the tank, pretty close to where my original aquastat is plumbed in.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:13:07 AM »

More than likely the snap disc is placed in a spot that has little flow and being on the top of the boiler it is considered at the crown point which on a conventional unit will be the hottest point, perhaps simply moving it to the back near the aqua stat would help?

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:23:44 AM »

More than likely the snap disc is placed in a spot that has little flow and being on the top of the boiler it is considered at the crown point which on a conventional unit will be the hottest point, perhaps simply moving it to the back near the aqua stat would help?

That makes sense, I bet you are right as usual!  I would have to take apart the front of my furnace to get to the existing snap disc...doable but a PITA.

May try just installing another snap disc on the back near my existing aquastat bung tap, and abandoning the existing snap disc.  I can install it through my access door on the back and fish wire to it without taking anything apart I think.

Good ideas Slim, thanks for making me think.   :thumbup:

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »

Happy to help!