Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bathroom remodel question  (Read 6031 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Bathroom remodel question
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:46:36 AM »

Hi all - My brother and I have begun remodeling the master bathroom in my house.  I've been putting off remodeling it due to having to replace part of the sub-floor due to rot.  When I install the new closet flange for the toilet, is the top of the flange flush with the sub-floor or the finish product that I haven't settled on yet?  Thanks in advance for the help.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Re: Bathroom remodel question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:42 AM »

The wax ring will take up a little slack but I would try to leave the closet flange close to flush (or just slightly under) the elevation of your finish flooring.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 09:18:50 AM »

Finish floor height or on top of finished floor both work out. Can get a thicker ring to make the flush one work but typically they lay on top of finished floor from what I see in commercial, and I've done them both ways residentially

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »

Okay, thanks.  It'll be a while before I get that far but I want to be prepared for when I do.  Man, am I glad my place employment has a shower I can use until I get my bathroom back together.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 11:05:38 PM »

Okay, thanks.  It'll be a while before I get that far but I want to be prepared for when I do.  Man, am I glad my place employment has a shower I can use until I get my bathroom back together.  Roger

Same situation here, have a bathroom makeover coming up, not really a remodel as that was done 20-30 years ago, just want to move the tub and a massive towel cabinet. Subfloor also needs replaced. Might have been 11 people living here when dad was growing up, but like then we still only have the one bathroom.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:09:44 AM »

Same situation here, have a bathroom makeover coming up, not really a remodel as that was done 20-30 years ago, just want to move the tub and a massive towel cabinet. Subfloor also needs replaced. Might have been 11 people living here when dad was growing up, but like then we still only have the one bathroom.

All we had was the one bathroom for the 11 of us; "take a number".  I was noticing on Saturday that there some rot effecting the floor and some of the wall near the toilet and tub.  Once I get the old sub-floor pulled up I'll know the extent of the damage and repair as needed.  I still have a lot of the old wood lathe and plaster to remove and I'm fearful of what I'll find regarding rot or damage due to age. or moisture infiltration. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »

I like to put the closet flange on the subfloor which in your case will be backer board. Landing it on top of the tile will cause the toiler and closet flange to be very close togeather and you will have to squeeze almost all of the wax ring out of it to get it to settle down and you can’t use a hybrid rubber gasket instead of a wax ring because you can’t squish out material. I would land it on the backboard and then use a hybrid gasket which can be repositioned and reused unlike a wax ring.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 06:17:35 PM »

I hope you don't mind using your post.

I am going to be redoing a bathroom in my house soon too and trying to figure out how to set it up. The pic attached in a drawing of the current layout. (not to scale)
The door location wastes a large portion of the bathroom so only a small vanity will fit. Also, I don't like the door opening into the kitchen.

The first pic shows the current layout (not to scale) and the 2nd shows how I have been thinking about doing it. The only problem with the new layout is that the door will hit the toilet. Is that a bad idea? Any suggestions for a better way to do it?

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:00:52 AM »

I hope you don't mind using your post.

I am going to be redoing a bathroom in my house soon too and trying to figure out how to set it up. The pic attached in a drawing of the current layout. (not to scale)
The door location wastes a large portion of the bathroom so only a small vanity will fit. Also, I don't like the door opening into the kitchen.

The first pic shows the current layout (not to scale) and the 2nd shows how I have been thinking about doing it. The only problem with the new layout is that the door will hit the toilet. Is that a bad idea? Any suggestions for a better way to do it?

I'm no builder, just a DIY'er but that looks fine to me.  Perhaps as a safety measure to protect the toilet and door from damage is put one of those stops in the floor that prevents the door from opening too far. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 06:12:17 PM »

RSI,
Not sure if you like them or not, but another option might be a pocket door if you have room within the wall. We've used them before in small bathrooms and closets where a swinging door can get in the way.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »

Plumbing in the wall would be in the way. I will already need to move a couple water pipes but would not be possible to get space for a pocket door.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:11 AM »

Seems kinda cheesy to me but I’ve seen a few bifold doors used as well in tight places.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »

It isn't really a tight space, just when they layed out the bathroom they didn't think about the door.
I think I will just try it without a stopper and if the door gets slammed into the toilet a lot then I will try a floor mounted stopper.

I guess if it doesn't work out then I can try moving the toilet to the opposite wall later on.

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »

I think you'll be alright doing it like your sketch .  They have door stops that go on the hinge if you want to avoid mounting one on the floor. They work best with a solid core door however, as ive seen them get pushed through a hollow core veneer type door.

You could also build a small 1\2 wall behind the door to seperate it from the toilet if room permits
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:37:36 PM by Pointblank »
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »

I thought about doing a half wall but seems like that would make the room seem much smaller.
I was looking at those hinge stoppers but seems like that would  put a lot of stress on the hinges. I will have a solid core door on it but it is just particle board with veneer on it so not sure how strong  they are.
Pages: [1] 2