Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: G400 Metal deterioration  (Read 53649 times)

ticapa

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: central boiler classic/ profab empyre 200/ Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
    • Cayuga View farm
G400 Metal deterioration
« on: December 28, 2019, 06:11:50 AM »

This is what our furnace looked like after one year of burning.  I am posting on here to start a thread and see if any others have had this issue.  I have been in contact with the factory and finally got an answer with a letter dated from over a year ago.  Not Good.  Please let me know if anyone has seen this.  Also in the letter I was informed it was from burning the stove too hot.  Impossible as the deteriorated area is under ash in the firebox.  Frustration maxed out now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:21:43 AM by ticapa »

ticapa

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Cayuga View farm
Re: G400 Metal deterioration
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 06:13:33 AM »

Sorry don't have my picture sizing right here is another one.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:21:10 AM by ticapa »

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »

So what did good ole Jake and Ryan have to say about it? Lots of HeatMaster defenders on here so this should be a good thread, Thanks for posting!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 09:37:57 AM »

What part of the stove is this? Maybe take a shot a little further back so the location shows up better. I have two customers that seemed to have a longer learning curve than most, the one I used a hammer and chisel to get the one inch of creosote off his door frame. I’d like to see if I find the same in theirs if we can ever get em clean enough.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

ticapa

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Cayuga View farm
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 10:41:20 AM »

It is on the left side of the plenum hole as you can see in this photo.  It is also started on the right too.  I am anal about cleaning the stove every year at shut down.  I am sure there is many stoves out there like this but if you don't get in there with a respirator and goggles and plan on getting dirty you probably will never see it.

I probably never would have started this post but I am a little concerned when I received for the first time a letter to me from heat masters dated 12/22/2018.  It also is discouraging when they are not fully investigating the problem and tell me via letter that I burned it too hot and that is the cause.  I have been burning out door boilers for 21+ years and am kicking myself for not keeping my original Central boiler that is still running to this day.  As far as I am concerned Headmasters has dropped the ball on this one.  They have had an open invitation to our farm since the day I found the issue of course no one came.  So how can they tell someone what caused it with out looking at it. 

Two other problems with this stove too. 1. Bypass door warped when it didn't shut fully and heat went passed it last year. I had to have one bent and build it myself as they could not find original blueprint for this stove.  2. They have not been able to send me the right insulation used between the plenum and bottom of the firebox so every time I clean the ash I end up wasting money on 1" door rope to seal the hole.  If it is open your flame does not come to the front as per design.  I will attach pictures of this to.

ticapa

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Cayuga View farm
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 11:06:02 AM »

Ok a little more info on the other problems this past year.  First is you can see old door on the tire and the reason the rope is out which you can see well is the warp.  Second is the door the factory sent (long one) wrong and the one I had to build next to it.  Third picture is door installed by me this year and now bolted shut to hopefully lose no heat out the top.

Not sure on the take on this whole forum of everyone here but I am throwing this out there.  The most frustrating thing is we pay big $$$ for these units up front for the warranty that is built into the price which I understand, but when you do all your own warranty work why do we pay for it?  This is just wrong and I am having a hard time recommending these units (any brand) to anyone as there is no dealer warranty support that I know of on any of them.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:08:19 AM by ticapa »

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 01:40:55 PM »

Could you Please check the date of manufacture on that stove, I don’t think they have produced that smoke bypass door for at least 5 years, because it had so many issues, perhaps that’s why they aren’t being helpful?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »

Ahh, does yours also have the cleanest door on top for the turbolators?

Far as the gap between the horseshoe refractory and the bottom of the top chamber, its supposed to be there, if the lower refractory fits too tight they will break. It does look a little excessive though.

I’m still not understanding where the bad spots are though, your’s is before my time. Personally though it looks more like corrosion if a little moisture mixed with some ash and made a weak acid.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 07:11:08 PM »

Looks like pitting in the metal to me and that for sure isn’t a 1 year old stove, it looks like somebody was selling off some very old stock.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »

Marty, does the warranty cover from date of purchase or date of manufacture.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 06:41:56 AM »

Does anybody on here know if HeatMasters warranty now covers from date of purchase/ installation or is it from date of manufacture? This stove if sold as a new stove is over five years old I’m sure from the rectangular smoke bypass. Their solution to this issue was to weld the bypass closed as it would warp and leak shortly after initial fire up.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 07:44:40 AM »

Does this g400 have a date of manufacture sticker? Where are you located? Who is our dealer since apparently you have been dealing straight from the factory? When did you receive the letter? Looks like someone hit the 8 instead of 9 on the keyboard by accident?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »

Marty, does the warranty cover from date of purchase or date of manufacture.

I’m taking care of an area East of me now as well, either the previous dealer never took care of the warranty or they mailed it and it never showed up. The customer had a warranty claim and I was able to get it honored as we went off the date of the install, not the date of manufacture. The old dealer had it on his lot for over a year before selling it.

I fax all warranty forms in then give em a call to double check.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 08:29:03 AM »

So, just out of curiosity, is that dealer still selling HeatMaster? Is that boiler a rebuilt boiler because I know for a fact that I replaced at least 3 of them when I first started with HeatMaster because of the issues with the smoke bypass door warping. That was well over 5 years ago so either the dealer or HeatMaster had it sitting around for well over the one year that you state. Did they replace the boiler with a current model or simply send him a new smoke bypass door which would not solve the corrosion issue clearly visible in the photos posted.

ticapa

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Cayuga View farm
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »

OK to clarify I will attach the plate photo here for all to see.  But first what everyone needs to understand is I purchased the stove in October of 2016  I installed it right away and the first pictures above are from right after the first season June 2017.  Yes every year it has gotten progressively worse and I have been anal retentive about documenting everything from water sample results to clean out pictures after the season.

It was manufactured in May of 2014 I knew this at purchase and made sure the dealer contacted the factory to guarantee a full new unit warranty from date of purchase.  The rep from the factory whom I have spoken with and emailed many times about the issues confirmed this coverage.  The problem how ever is we purchased it assuming we could get a minimum 12 year use out of it to justify the cost of the unit.  I am going to be lucky if we get another season after this one out of it. 

The only person who has been to see the stove was the dealer that sold it to me in the summer of 2017 he saw it  after the first season.  The problem is he no longer is a dealer sold out of his business that summer.  Imagine that.  Yes this is our 4th season we are going into with a very expensive unit that is hanging on like a thread.   The new door and plenum problems are new after last seasons (2019) burn. 

So let me ask all of you on here would you not expect that stove to last 12 seasons?  My Central boiler that we installed in 1999 at our other house 1/2 mile away is still running as I type this with no issues.   Will this Heatmaster make it?  In my opinion as it is getting worse every year no way.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 02:24:18 PM by ticapa »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7