Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking at outdoor heater options  (Read 9446 times)

68bucks

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Looking at outdoor heater options
« on: March 31, 2020, 12:37:43 PM »

I'm looking at options for heating a work shop. Its 35'x40' with 12' ceilings, all insulated.  I would like to have a heating system that is outside the building to avoid taking up floor space inside and I think my insurance company would like that. I have looked at boilers and forced air system. I don't plan to heat the building 24/7 only when I plan to be out there a while so this would be intermittent use I guess. So I'm interested in suggestions. Is an outdoor system a bad idea? I was thinking FA would heat up a lot quicker. A single supply duct and return duct with a simple grate on the wall where it comes through would probably suffice to heat it up pretty well.

I have considered a boiler but it would need antifreeze in the system. It would be easier to run a couple water lines through the wall to an exchanger and fan of some sort. I'm just not sure this is a good application for a boiler though. It would take longer to heat up I assume and I don't know how it would like the heating cycles over time. Any insights or ideas that you may have would be appreciated. Thanks

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Looking at outdoor heater options
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 07:50:16 PM »

Is the shop not close enough that you could heat your home as well?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 04:55:12 AM »

I don't now who all is making hot air outdoor furnaces anymore. Do your research, I haven't seen anyone on here that has been running one.
As marty suggested we do quite a few hooking up to a house and shop, only warming the shop up when you're actually  working in it. An oversized blower heats up pretty quickly.
With a boiler antifreeze would depend on where you live. In the south you could probably let the pump run. Up north it's too risky. You'd want a boiler with really low water volume so it heats up quick, a C150 would be a possibility. It holds 60 or so gallons. 
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

68bucks

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 07:53:13 AM »

I'd love to heat the house with the same boiler but they are a good 350' apart. I'm in Northern Ohio so I'll have to have anti-freeze for sure. I have found a few hot air units including Air Stove made here in Ohio. I think I will eventually put a boiler on the house too but I just don't see where I can put a unit to service both buildings. What are your thoughts on heat cycling on these outdoor units especially boilers? How quickly do you think a low volume boiler would take to heat up enough to make good heat. It's not like I would need instant heat but I'd rather not wait 3 hours or something to get hot air. I do know it would be a lot easier to poke a couple of small pipes through the back wall than figure how to run a couple 12" ducts through the wall.