Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood Splitter to Handle 48" long log  (Read 12335 times)

Northportredneck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Wood Splitter to Handle 48" long log
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:02:16 PM »

Hey Folks

I have been looking at Wood Splitters for a while now but everything that I have seen only handles a 24" long log.  Anybody know of any that can handle a log 48" long.  I cut my wood for the boiler 36 to 42 depending on the day and find the stuff that has to be split a real pain.
Central Boiler Classic CL75SB (installed 1997)
Kubota 900 RTV
Stihl 038AV
Stihl 034
Stihl 362
Stihl 017
Ontario, Canada

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Splitter to Handle 48" long log
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:04:36 AM »

Hey Folks

I have been looking at Wood Splitters for a while now but everything that I have seen only handles a 24" long log.  Anybody know of any that can handle a log 48" long.  I cut my wood for the boiler 36 to 42 depending on the day and find the stuff that has to be split a real pain.

I found a company online who makes 48 inch log splitters.  Here's the link:  http://www.ramsplitter.com/ModelH25.html

I hope this helps.  Good  luck.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »

i  have built a few wood splitters in my days and i would recomend a 5 inch cylinder.

we did have one once that was a real brute, my father in law recieved all the old 100 year plus maple trees from a road widening project in his area and nothing woud split many of them so i went to work with some stuff in the shop and made one with a 9 inch cylider with a 20 inch stroke and a 26 gpm piston pump driven by an old vw motor..this thing pushed the wedge right out of the beam twice in hard blocks. i mean it ripped the flange right off the beam. i am not sure how much force was behind that 9 inch but it was a lot

i have seen 3 and 4 inch cylinder splitters stall quite easily in knoty wood
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:45:55 PM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »

Just bought one! www.americancls.com  AM-48HH is the model I got..If you go to the web sight click  on the  AM-25 HH..Then click on the options.. You can choose what size split., wedge (4 or a 6 way) and engine etc....
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:29:31 AM »

If you have 12 or 13 grand laying around, you can own one of these splitters......

http://www.splitright.com/sr325.php

Sorry for the high-jack.... it's not 48", but for that money is should be!
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!

Northportredneck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »

Thanks I'll check out the links.  I was pretty sure some of you guys would know about 48" splitters.   :)
Central Boiler Classic CL75SB (installed 1997)
Kubota 900 RTV
Stihl 038AV
Stihl 034
Stihl 362
Stihl 017
Ontario, Canada

shorman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:42:02 AM »

Newbie,meet Newbie.I just signed on recently.----------I bought my first wood furnace in 1993 and used a vertical log splitter for several years.If you don't know about TimberWolf log splitters,Google them and look at what they offer.They show a splitter that splits 10' logs on their display page.
              I have a Timber Wolf splitter that is 4 or 5 years old (TW2-HD) and I am crazy over it.You can see it in their display.I bought this splitter with a 4" cylinder as a HD 20 ton splitter.After using it awhile I found myself getting chunks stuck on the wedge and had to beat them off with a 30# sledge all too frequently.That aroused my curiosity and I began doing some math using several pressure numbers off the top of my head.I discovered that a 4" cylinder took a tremendous amount of pressure to develop a 20 ton splitting pressure.Much more than possible with this pump.When I contacted the company,they sent me a pressure gauge and told me to check the setting of the relief valve and raise it if necessary.It was set where it was supposed to be.Long story short,the 20 ton splitter was putting out a little over 13 tons force.They sent me a 5" cylinder,I installed it and it worked great.They never did pay me for my aggravation but at least they guided me toward solving the problem.I still see this splitter listed as 20 tons splitting force with a 4" cylinder.Apparently they don't fear lawsuits.----------shorman

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »

It is nice to see the manufacture come good to ensure thst you were satisfyed with their product.  A 4 inch cylinder should develop almost 19 tons of force with a 3000 psi pump.  This is often within the hydraulic pressure range of many purchased, or even home built, splitters.
Muskoka, Ont

Mrplow

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL6048
  • " Ol' Smokey "
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »

Check out http://tempestwoodsplitter.com/.  Man I think they are the most forward thinking and efficient looking splitters I have ever seen.  Not the best set up for us OWB guys as we don't need that small of pieces, but the concept is awsome I think... 
Just modify the "throw" to be 36" min, and make the "wedge" to produce larger end product and I'll take one, or maybe make one... ;D
Can't beat my current homemade splitter, the inverted type on a skid loader, lazy mans work, zero manual labor ;)
"Theres no money like snow money"

"Missing person - Old Man Winter"

"No snow, No dough"

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 06:31:50 AM »

Nice looking splitter
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »

4 foot man you guys are strong i was cutting 3 foot to much work back to 2foot the wife is starting to feed it dont whant to lose a good thing we both enjoy dont whant it to become work  on th side i have split some wood that so much presser it got scary  now like i used to help the father inlaw  and we would split stave boilt with spliting maule  no nots though
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029