Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 20 yr old OWB just failed: recommend brand/model to replace?  (Read 6409 times)

hpowers

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400
    • View Profile
Re: 20 yr old OWB just failed: recommend brand/model to replace?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 08:41:13 AM »

tennessee outdoor hoss 400
Stihl- 310,180,441,261,271
Huske 28 ton splitter

IH 826
Honda Foreman
And 4 kids to help
chevy 2500 hd

kc

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Mountain Man 505
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »

I'll second the nod for Earth furnaces.   I just picked mine up last weekend and after studying stoves over a couple of months I feel they make a simple, sturdy, quality, and reasonably costed stove.   I too wanted to steer clear of the gasification stoves and stick with a simpler design.   I ended up going with a 505 which is their larger unit in that I am looking at eventually hooking up  5 or 6 HEs and felt I needed the extra capacitiy.  But their 365 stove goes for $4300 which is a lot of stove for the money and a very attractive price compared to others I looked at.   I can't comment on performance yet but my expectations are high...

kc
Earth Mountain Man 505
Stihl MS361 - 25"
Stihl MS280 - 20"
Stihl 028 Wood Boss - 18"
Sthil MS170 - 16"
Echo CS-305 - 14"

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »

Loading my homemade OWB this morning, when all the sudden the firebox became a smokey steam bath.....

Drag everything out, and a very LARGE fountain of water is coming up dead center of the stove.  >:(

This after a major plumbing rework made the system run like a TOP.  Now the OWB is dead..... Sometimes life is a challenge indeed.

Would just get in there and scab a new plate in, but this is a 20 year old OWB which I had scabbed 5 years ago when I moved in, and it was pretty punky then, so I sealed it up & bedded the floor with refractory cement.  Seeing as I got 5 more years out of something that is well past it's service life, it is time to replace.  Add to the fact that it is in the teens/20s here in MN, so there is really no way to get in and fix it right.

So, I will have to bite the bullet, get a loan, and get a new OWB pronto!  My backup is a dino-bones burner older than I am & costs a king's ransom to heat this 100 year old farm house.

Would like recommendations on units or brands.  Here is what I am replacing:

- System (including pipes/exchanger) holds 375 gallons water
- Prefer simpler electronics (aquastat or non-proprietary controls)
- Don't care if gassification (in farm house with no neighbors)
- Non-sheltered (i.e. free-standing insulated) unit
- Good PRICE compared to features

Any recommendations ASAP would be really helpful, so I can find a dealer, get pricing, get a loan, etc etc etc before winter gets much worse  :(

Also any dealers to recommend in North Central MN would be also appreciated.

Shane

try thermal-control out of ny (nationalstoveworks.com) he may have a dealer near you or have a good deal on shipping like $300 in usa....He makes out door boilers also with 20 warranty and it is not prorated......tim is a great guy i can give you his pesonal cell # if you want it....? his father was building wood stoves and boilers before tim took over well built and great quality....

kelly
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:56:59 PM by baldwin racing »
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

stewie3500

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »

I am happy with my Tennessee Outdoor Furnace. It has performed as expected since first fire and is easy to maintain. Since you are not required for an epa qualifying stove, they are an excellent choice. Large fire box, Large loading door, simple design, non proprietary electronics, and 1000 lbs heavier dry weight compared to a similar unit from another manufacturer. They are extremely over built. Lastly, the price is reasonable.
Ram 4500 C&C
Load Trail 14k dump trailer
Kubota m6060
Stihl MS 660
Stihl MS 460
Stihl MS 261
Stihl 08s
Pages: 1 [2]