Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood Pellets  (Read 1516 times)

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Wood Pellets
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:35:01 AM »

Has anybody ever burnt wood pellets in a CB 6048 or something similar? Can it be done or not so good of an idea? Have a couple ton left over and wont be needing them, thanks to the new 6048.
             Also what are some reasons I have creasote build up in my fire box, not sure what is considered alot but it seems to always have it. Tried the cardboard burn to get rid of it and didnt seem to work. Thanks in advance,  Pit Crew.
North east Ohio
Since 1960

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »

I had some pellets get wet and set up hard, through them in my mf5000 heatmaster and they smoldered and smoked, its just not designed correctly for an owb
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »

I have no direct experience burning pellets but I would think you are better off with larger solid pieces of wood in your OWB. Pellets are designed to burn in a stove with a regulated and automated feed system.  That being said you could try throwing a bag of pellets into your OWB and see what results you get.
Muskoka, Ont

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »

If they are still like new just sell them on craigslist. You could use the money from selling them to buy wood and get more heat out of it.
If they are unsellable just mix a little in at a time. I would put them in when you have a good coal bed and make sure not too much at once so it doesn't smother the fire.