Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Federal wood burning rule prompts rural backlash  (Read 9154 times)

Coyote556

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: None yet
  • OWF Model: Still shopping
    • View Profile
Federal wood burning rule prompts rural backlash
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »

Yahoo news 

http://news.yahoo.com/federal-wood-burning-rule-prompts-rural-backlash-161516423.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A federal proposal to clean up the smoke wafting from wood-burning stoves has sparked a backlash from some rural residents, lawmakers and manufacturers who fear it could close the damper on one of the oldest ways of warming homes on cold winter days.

Proposed regulations from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency would significantly reduce the amount of particle pollution allowed from the smokestacks of new residential wood-powered heaters.

Wood-burning stoves are a staple in rural homes in many states, a cheap heating source for low-income residents and others wanting to lessen their reliance on gas or electric furnaces. Outdoor models often cost several thousand dollars, but indoor stoves can cost as little as a few hundred dollars and sometimes double as fashionable centerpieces in homes.

Some manufacturers contend the EPA's proposed standards are so stringent that the higher production costs would either force them out of business or raise prices so high that many consumers could no longer afford their products.

"There's not a stove in the United States that can pass the test right now — this is the death knoll of any wood burning," Reg Kelly, the founder of Earth Outdoor Furnaces in Mountain Grove, told Missouri lawmakers during a recent hearing.

More than three dozen Missouri lawmakers have co-sponsored a bill that would symbolically fight back against the EPA by declaring that "All Missourians have a right to heat their homes and businesses using wood-burning furnaces, stoves, fireplaces and heaters."

View galleryDarwin Woods stokes the fire in the wood burning stove …
Darwin Woods stokes the fire in the wood burning stove that he uses to heat both his home and water  …
This past week, a Missouri House committee endorsed a revised measure that proposes to ban state environmental officials from regulating residential wood heaters unless authorized by the Legislature.

Missouri appears to be one the first states to introduce legislation in response to the proposed EPA regulations. But concerns over wood-stove pollution and regulations also have been simmering in other states, including Utah and Alaska.

States such as Washington and New York already have adopted stricter emission rules. And last fall, New York's attorney general led a coalition of seven states in a federal lawsuit seeking to compel to the EPA to adopt new emission limits on wood-fired boilers, which heat water that is piped into a home's radiator system.

The EPA's existing regulations date to 1988 and don't apply to all of the different kinds of wood-burning devices now in use. Under a proposed rule change released last month, the EPA would give manufacturers five years to meet standards that would reduce emissions by an estimated 80 percent.

The EPA has scheduled a public hearing next Wednesday in Boston, and the sponsor of the Missouri legislation plans to travel there to make his case.

View galleryDarwin Woods checks on the fire in his wood burning …
Darwin Woods checks on the fire in his wood burning stove that he uses to heat his workshop Friday,  …
"What they're doing is unnecessary, and it comes against our American values and our traditions," said Rep. Tim Remole, a Republican who has a wood stove at his rural Missouri home.

There are about 12 million wood stoves in U.S. homes, including about 9 million that are less than half as efficient as the newer stoves, according to the EPA. The agency's proposed rules would not affect stoves already in homes.

Most people who own wood stoves have other means of heat, such as electric or gas furnaces. But about 2 percent U.S. homes rely on wood as their primary heating source — a figure that has been rising over the past decade.

Darwin Woods, who owns a farm near the small central Missouri town of Clark, said his 12-year-old outdoor wood stove heats both his home and water. Though he wouldn't be forced to upgrade the stove, Woods views the proposed EPA rule as an intrusion.

"It's just another way for them to control my life and lifestyle and basically force me to pay more for just survival," Woods said.

View galleryDarwin Woods carries his chainsaw to cut up wood for …
Darwin Woods carries his chainsaw to cut up wood for his wood burning stove that he uses to heat his …
Others point to the negative health effects from burning wood. The fine particles can worsen asthma and cardiovascular problems, ultimately leading to earlier deaths, according to the American Lung Association.

In Utah, Republican Gov. Gary Herbert has called for a winter ban on wood-burning in an attempt to improve air quality. The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation has also proposed its own emission requirements.

But some homeowners "want to keep their fireplaces to have a way to heat homes and cook food in the event an earthquake cuts gas lines and power," said Erin Mendenhall, a Salt Lake City council member and executive director of Breathe Utah, which is offering to replace wood stoves with gas units.

The National Firewood Association, based in Duluth, Minn., says some of the pollution from wood-burning stoves could be reduced if people would burn only aged wood rather than wood with too much wet sap.

"A properly burning wood fire — there's virtually no smoke or smell," said Executive Director Scott Salveson.

duke

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
Re: Federal wood burning rule prompts rural backlash
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:21:17 AM »

I'm from SE Missouri and this article was on our local news the other day.
06 Duramax
08 Polaris Ranger XP
MS 310
28 ton Swisher

oldchenowth

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:28:40 AM »

I read this earlier today.  Makes me sick to think all the city folk and suburbanites know what it takes to heat an old farm house.  I did not and do not have the funds to build a new efficient home.  Where I live there is no natural gas line.  If you want to stay warm and alive you choose propane ($5/gal), electric ($0.15/Kwh) or wood ($10/cord).  I cut my own wood on my land so for $100/ year I can heat my home and water.   Even if I buy a new saw each year it is cheaper than the other options.  My rights can easily be squashed by someone 20 miles away that is more "educated" than me.  My pollution is the problem?  Mining for coal, burning coal at the electric co., gas drilling, propane delivery must not add any particulate to the air.  Just my phase II wood burner.  But my neighbor with a fireplace that emits smoke non-stop and draws their warm air up the chimney when not used is efficient and ok. 

Yep, I see that I AM the problem.  What was I thinking?  Clearing dead wood from the forest making room for new trees, recycling God's original renewable fuel, saving money like MSN always suggest I do, getting exercise to try and stay healthy and keep health care costs down.  Shoot me now, I AM Public enemy number one!

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:31:57 AM »

AWESOME POST, LIKE BUTTON?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Rockarosa

• OWF Brand: Pro-Fab
  • OWF Model: Cozyburn MS 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:46:36 AM »

WoW! That is a great post. Where does all this nonsense end. I'm starting to believe you don't really own your land. Trying to change the way I choose to heat my home. Now I have surveyors without my consent  on my property from Sunoco. The first thing the Sunoco land man told me was Sunoco can file eminent domain  for a pipeline through my hay fields and right through my yard. Now I have to spend money on an attorney to try and keep a high pressure gas line away from my home.
New Holland T C 30

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »

U know what, I wish we lived in a time where if they came on ur land u could blow there damn head off..  I'm sorry, I know this won't sit well with many folks but I, me, my business are all under attack and I've had enough bs. 

We are stripped of our rights more and more and more and more everyday and I'm just tired of it.. 

Anyone ready to revolt? 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

oldchenowth

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:23 AM »

I got your back General Scott.  Lead on

Rockarosa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 07:30:05 AM »

Scott, everyone in our neighborhood received a letter that Sunoco has eminent domain rights and can come on your property and survey and do an environmental impact study. I told them to stay off my property and then got a temporary restraining order to allow them access. When I looked out and saw them on my property my blood boiled. Now they plan on running a high pressure 16 inch line through my yard 100 feet from my house. I can't imagine how much this devalues this property. They told me they would make a nice offer and I told them that they can't make me  a nice enough offer. I get to work this land and pay the taxes but I really don't own it.
New Holland T C 30

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:37:48 AM »

U know what, I wish we lived in a time where if they came on ur land u could blow there damn head off..  I'm sorry, I know this won't sit well with many folks but I, me, my business are all under attack and I've had enough bs. 

We are stripped of our rights more and more and more and more everyday and I'm just tired of it.. 

Anyone ready to revolt?

Yes sir.  Sign me up!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

oldchenowth

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 07:42:36 AM »

You don't own anything Rock.  Pay cash for something, and don't pay enough or continued taxes set by others, IRS takes it from you. You have land someone else wants, you lose.  The junky down the street wants your big screen and takes it, that's ok too.  He's a victim.  Just because you earned it, does not make it yours.  May I interest you in Ocean front property in Wyoming?  How about a pretty bridge? 

Rockarosa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 07:49:15 AM »

I agree, the man who works all his life and plays by the rules is made a fool of. By the way, I have my concealed carry license and a loaded gun in every room of my home. I'm just waiting for a home invasion. I cannot believe that it has come to this.
New Holland T C 30

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »

Like I said before, only a revolution will gut these idiots and get back on track to the way the constitution was meant to do. Protect individual freedoms. Common sense should be common law. And eminent domain should imprison and hang everyone who has or tries to use it.

This would be WAY cheaper for the govt, if they just inspected only the OWB's that receive complaints and educate or give them an approved model. It cost millions to write and pass federal laws. Oh and that's what the govt is supposed to do, help its people.

However in another twisted way they will give you $5000-$8000 for your pellet , solar system in some of the blue states.  That's some big dough, and I've never ever seen those rebate/incentive type systems in a low to middle income home.
Just like the average income for that electric volt car was $268,000. Sure they needed $23,000 in combined rebates to buy a E-car.

I'm late on my gas bill and 3 days after the due date I get a shutoff notice over $79 bill. Yet get on the inner city heat program and I can leave my doors wide open heat at 78-85 , yup see it too often. And not pay anything or less than $19/month.

It's all about controlling the people.
Michigan Thumber

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 09:59:06 AM »

Like I said before, only a revolution will gut these idiots and get back on track to the way the constitution was meant to do. Protect individual freedoms. Common sense should be common law. And eminent domain should imprison and hang everyone who has or tries to use it.
<snip>

Unfortunately, eminent domain is constitutional.  It's in the fifth amendment. 

How it's been expanded to allow the taking of private property by the government so it can be developed into a shopping complex is absurd, but the concept itself is explicitly constitutional.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

Rockarosa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »

Yes, believe me, I checked into this and consulted my attorney.
New Holland T C 30

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »

I just got done sending my representative an email.  Everyone do this and encourage others to do it!  If you can figure out how to post on here you can figure out the email.  Be kind and courteous and remind them election time will be here soon enough!  ask them their stance on the issue and tell them to please not sidestep the question and answer it simply and honestly. 
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax
Pages: [1] 2 3