Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How clean should the firebox be?  (Read 11785 times)

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
How clean should the firebox be?
« on: December 21, 2011, 03:59:35 AM »

I have noticed that I have quite a bit of build up on the inside of my 5036. How much is normal and how do I get rid of it? I scrape it but there has to be a better way.

Ridgekid

Re: How clean should the firebox be?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 05:06:17 AM »

Are you talking about the creosote? Only a good hot burn will knock it off.

Yesterday, I knocked off some creosote but not all. I waited until right before the damper was going to open. I then loaded some cardboard in it and left the door open. As an after thought it might of worked better if I had closed the door and let it go through it's normal cycle. Anyway, she got hot enough to send sparks out the chimney. (Thank goodness it was a damp day). I closed the door when the temp controller hit 187*.

NOTE: I only had a few pieces of wood left in it from the previous stocking. So between the hot embers and cardboard I had some good flames going.

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »

Yesterday, I knocked off some creosote but not all. I waited until right before the damper was going to open. I then loaded some cardboard in it and left the door open. As an after thought it might of worked better if I had closed the door and let it go through it's normal cycle. Anyway, she got hot enough to send sparks out the chimney. (Thank goodness it was a damp day). I closed the door when the temp controller hit 187*.

NOTE: I only had a few pieces of wood left in it from the previous stocking. So between the hot embers and cardboard I had some good flames going.

Ridgekid:  Do you know if that would work in the E-classic 1400?  Because the wood I'm using this year is not of the greatest quality, I have some creosote buildup.  Perhaps the cardboard trick will work in my stove too?  I have tons of cardboard I need to get rid of, so maybe a solution to both problems has been found.  Thanks.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Ridgekid

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:46:16 AM »

Roger-

I don't know! Since the cardboard will leave large ash flakes, I hate to see it plug any of your air tubes.

Hopefully someone else will read this and have a response.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 06:49:16 PM »

Ridgekid:  Do you know if that would work in the E-classic 1400?  Because the wood I'm using this year is not of the greatest quality, I have some creosote buildup.  Perhaps the cardboard trick will work in my stove too?  I have tons of cardboard I need to get rid of, so maybe a solution to both problems has been found.  Thanks.  Roger
Just curious..Have you guys tried the Ash-Trol by CB? Supposedly its supposed to dry out the creosote...
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Mrplow

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: CL6048
  • " Ol' Smokey "
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »

My 6048 has been up and running for a total of a month and a half now and I also have a pretty good coating of "flakey" tar like black stuff coating all walls and ceiling baffles which I assume to be creosote.  A few times I have scraped at it and I comes right off but you just can't get it all and I don't think you really need to, you really can't get at the baffles at all.  Manual states it is normal and to be expected as long as it stays thin.  My buildup looks more like quarter and silver dollar sized "boils", anyone else? 
Funny thing about the Ash-trol.  My dealer just got me my final bill for the boiler purchase and install.  It included the ash-trol product which I never recieved, I questioned him about it and he just dropped it off so I have only been using it for a few days and am not really sure what to be expecting it to do.  He said one of the jugs should last a season, but it also says to broadcast a heaping scoopful a day, this seems conflicting...?
"Theres no money like snow money"

"Missing person - Old Man Winter"

"No snow, No dough"

Ridgekid

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »

I haven't. I asked about it on this board when I first got mine and someone replied it was a waste of time and money.

gmviso

• OWF Model: CL5036
  • Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »

I thought that what Ashtrol was supposed to do was raise the pH of the ash that sits on the bottom of the firebox in CBs and with moisture can create acid which will eat away at the firebox.
Central Boiler CL5036

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »

What Ive heard/read ..Ash-Trol is pretty much lime..I don't know its for a acid in the firebox...Heard its for the chimney..Run a hot fire..shouldnt need it..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »

I was told that it is for the spring and summer months, when you only burn every couple of days when you are just heating your hot water
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

wrudoing

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 09:53:04 PM »

The ashtrol reduces the ph of the ash = less rot

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 09:27:08 AM »

Like a couple have posted above, Ashtrol is a pH modifier that helps neutralize acids in the firebox.  It will do nothing for the creosote.  It is worth using, in my opinion, for it's intended purpose.

Rodger,  I wouldn't run an E-Classic with the bypass door open for very long.  It is not designed to do so - the manual states "Caution:  Leaving the bypass door open for prologed periods during operation may cause damage to components of the outdoor furnace." 

Burning with the bypass open will burn not burn any of the creosote that builds open in the bottom and only marginally effect the top and sides.   The creosote on the top and sides is never a problem for me.  The creosote will build up in the lower corners and sides and with the proper tools, one can easily clean those every few days.   When one has a very hot fire, most of the creosote on the top and sides just liquifies and runs down to the bottom.

Dean

Central_Boiler_3200_Owner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »

I have an E 3200...

Buildup was reduced when I changed the settings for the blowers to stoke the wood coals
longer and sooner then factory settings.  Same with water temp.

Water temp is at 185... if it drops by 7 degrees...(was set at 10) it kicks on to get back to 185.
That reduced my buildup considerably. 

Scratch

• OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »

I have a 6048 that I've been burning with for a few years now.  I've used the Ash-troll the first year then stopped.  Didn't notice a difference.  I also get lot's of black Creosote on the walls.  No big deal IMO.  It goes away when you burn a bunch of paper or cardboard and if it don't... who cares.

My brother has had his 6048 for at least 12 years now.  Lives next door, burns garbage, uses no additives and does zero maintenence.  Also has had zero problems besides the occasional boil over from leaving the door open (he burns alot of wet/green wood and his fires don't start the easiest)
Hudson, WI