Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Leaker #2  (Read 13412 times)

gandgracing

• View Profile
Re: Leaker #2
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »

The only thing I think I can do now is get a legit water sample and then move forward that way.  My wife and I are really pulling our hair out over this.  A local welder that has built 2 boilers is gonna come over and look at what I have and see if my claims are true.  The steel is to thin and it appears that there was a crap load of slag and it all corroded on the bottom of the tank.  On one of the bottom ports I took the cap off and a piece of slag about the size of two small marbles beside each other fell out.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »

Well it seems they are at least trying to make it right.  :thumbup: hope all goes well.

Boy Was i wrong. Things have sure took a turn for the worse. They must have not had any intention of fixing your stove let along replacing it. May be time to get a lawyer. Be sure and take pictures of everything before welder does anything. Then take pictures after and during repair, that is if he can repair. Keep record of all phone calls ,e-mails etc. you send to them and there response. Every time you talk with them on phone follow that conversation up with either a letter or e-mail. All that information will come in handy if you have to get a lawyer.  Which you probably know all this anyway.

I think Willie has the right idea on the warranty issue.

Wishing you the best

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 07:17:37 AM »

Well the local welder guy came over to take a look at what I have and says he feels alot better on the boilers that he has built.  All the concerns that I have had he agreed with...especially the thin metal used for the water tank.  Coming from a guy who has only built 2 he cant believe how crappy these are built.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »

Well the local welder guy came over to take a look at what I have and says he feels alot better on the boilers that he has built.  All the concerns that I have had he agreed with...especially the thin metal used for the water tank.  Coming from a guy who has only built 2 he cant believe how crappy these are built.

Does he think he can repair it or is metal so bad its not worth it? Can you tell what gauge metal is on water jacket?
I had a shaver orderd in 2009 but thy failed to ship when promised. In the mean time I talked with someone local that had one. After that conversation I called and canceled order. Sure glad now I did. Seems that a lot of  shaver owners have had problems.

They need to step up to the plate and take responibility for there units.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »

He says he can fix it by cutting off the whole bottom and replacing with 1/4". The current thickness is 3/16" for the water tank. To thin.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 06:40:01 AM »

Finally got it flipped over and I could stick a chizel right thru it.  There is no paint what so ever on any of it.  The top plate looks almost as bad.  Looks like water has been sitting on it and rusting like crazy.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 07:09:51 PM »

From photo looks rough. May have been bad steel  to rust through in a year. Is it 3/16? Only 1/16 shy of 1/4. pretty thick to rust through in a year. Makes you wonder if it was a new steel on the  bottom of your stove to start with. Was your stove sitting right on concrete or was there insulation between.

It is a big investment to buy OWB. Then to have all the problems you are having, has to be frustrating.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »

It's 3/16 and was on a concrete pad. I had put 2" insulation board on bottom.

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »

Well this guy is really helping me out.  Bottom was cut off,  new cold water return lines are in and its welded up.  Now he is doing the top plate.  Says he cant believe how much slag was in it.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »

If u think 3/16 is to thin for simply holding water then every stove manufacturer in the country better start over

That's pretty much the industry standard in mild steel

A hardy for example has a water jacket that's like 1/16 or 1/18

Bottom line is shaver is a scam! 

I wouldn't have touched that furnace as far as repairs until after court..  Sue there hind ends
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »

All put back together and water is heating up as I type.  Ran it for 12 hours with pretreatment, and after it heated up I didn't see the fan cycle anymore so it must be holding the heat very well.  Its only a low of 33* though.  I also raised it 12" and its so much easier to load without bending over.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »

Glad u got it going. Raising stove up does make it easier on back. Raised my NCB up 4'' with cap block when I installed it and sure glad i did.
Pages: 1 2 [3]