Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hat/coat hanger...a Shaver option?  (Read 9616 times)

lugnut

• View Profile
Hat/coat hanger...a Shaver option?
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »

Okay, all ye owners of these wonderful Shaver furnaces, did y'all opt for the hat/coat hanger on the front outside of your furnace?  Apparently I did and it works as it should.  Holds my hat and coat just fine.

Okay, now that I have everyone's attention.  Apparently I'm missing something here.  While I do understand the principle of a "shut-off" valve, maybe Shaver does it differently.  Yesterday, I wanted to make sure my water level was up in the furnace; I went down to the lower level and opened up the fill valve....came out the back door and heard the water running into the bucket.  "What's this I asked myself?  How can this be?"  The valve on the front of the furnace reads "OFF", yet the water is coming out as though it is "ON".  I turned the valve to "ON" thinking maybe some 4 yr. old kid plumbed it basackwards...and the water still cometh....   :bash: :bash:

So, what am I missing here???  Perhaps the valve is just that, a coat/hat hook?  When I go to "OPEN" the valve, like many do to check the water level...it can b e open for 30 minutes and NOTHING comes out!

And the saga continues.......Guess I'll be calling my favorite buddy again at Shaver...but will wait until I read back from you folks.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

JBG

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Hat/coat hanger...a Shaver option?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »

Lugnut..  I can't imagine it being anything else but a faulty valve/hat rack.
Shaver 290
37 Ton Northstar log splitter

Treewinder

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »

What I have found  that as they way the built the water tank and plumbed it up, that it takes as much as a minute after shutting off the valve before the water stops running out the overflow.  Meaning on mine it is not coming out the valve from running water but the tank overflow.
Ed
Eastern Shore of Va.
Shaver 250
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
CSM-Procut design & Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P
Kobuta B-6100

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »

Well, Treewinder...I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow as it's supposed to be warm here again.  I will turn on the fill valve in the basement, come up and outside to the furnace and turn the valve on...but wait...that won't work because even when the valve is off...it's on.  I'm so confused now.  I think I will call shaver....I need some work banging my head into the wall anyway. 

Maybe Shaver should change their mailing address from "Weldrite" to "We hardly do anything rite."

Thanks for the input guys.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »

how hard would it bee to install a new shut off    trying to still learn about shaver this is what mine was based from
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »

how hard would it bee to install a new shut off    trying to still learn about shaver this is what mine was based from

Beeman, I'm not certain what all is involved short of removing the entire face panel of the furnace, but being that this unit is supposedly" still under warranty, I feel it's THEIR responsibility, so I will make a call today between the third cup of coffee and working on the turnbuckle.  Yesterday I tried the system again, going down to turn on the fill valve and coming out to the furnace and sure enough the water was running....made no difference if I turned the valve off or off...it still ran.  "sigh".   :bash: :bash:  Wonder what else I'm going to discover on this unit.

Back in May I went to an American Royal dealer located about 30 miles from me to purchase two coils, one for the furnace and the other a brazed plate for the DHW; I asked if they took trade in....they laughed and said they only take trades of American Royals either up or down grading.  Yesterday I received info back form them regarding my query on antifreeze and Connie told me Jeff would be interested in trading my Shaver for an American Royal. Hmmmmmm....my wife shook her head, she said, you've made all the upgrades to this Shaver why on earth would you want to get rid of it now?  Uh, closer dealership first comes to mind. 

I "dread" making a phone call to Shaver.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:15:55 PM »

by all means i am not putting down shaver like ive said this is what i based my stove from still learning what i can to make more improvements butttttt as so many others have said for the mods they take the siding off to put on more insulation what a better time to put the valve of your choise  are you having to add water regular
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

Treewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:20:22 AM »

One other thing to check,  there are 2 water lines connected to the valve, water in and water out.  They are not marked.
  If your connected to the out, then your water from the basement is going right into the water box and not effected by the valve, resulting in overfilling the waterbox and the vavle not affecting anything.

Only a suggestion to check.  Hope it works for you.
Ed
Eastern Shore of Va.
Shaver 250
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Komatsu D-21-P
Kobuta B-6100

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »

by all means i am not putting down shaver like ive said this is what i based my stove from still learning what i can to make more improvements butttttt as so many others have said for the mods they take the siding off to put on more insulation what a better time to put the valve of your choise  are you having to add water regular

Mr. Beeman,

Nope, I'm not having to add water everyday.  I suppose it's all in my head.  Because I can't see the vent pipe from my sun room, I get concerned.  The very last thing I need is for this thing boil over and use up the water.  Don't say it...I'm being overly cautious. 

I didn't get the chance yesterday to call Shaver, but will do so today.  STILL trying to get this damn auto damper to work properly..The problem I'm having is getting the damper to pen all the way as it should, but without opening the flap all the way.

Again, as I mentioned sometime earlier, I mounted the new larger blower on it's "side" so that the squirrel cage is horizontal and not vertical as on most Shavers.  I tried mounting a turn buckle and that wont work;  I tried adding a link or two to the existing chain, but for some reason this will not work either.  There has GOT to be something that I am missing.

Lugnut

Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »

One other thing to check,  there are 2 water lines connected to the valve, water in and water out.  They are not marked.
  If your connected to the out, then your water from the basement is going right into the water box and not effected by the valve, resulting in overfilling the waterbox and the vavle not affecting anything.

Only a suggestion to check.  Hope it works for you.

You know, on the latest version of Shaver advertisement they specify having a page to view how the shaver is made and what the "plant" looks like.  I've NOT seen either one.  Now I haven't a clue who does their web pages, but they need to do some serious upgrading of the website and follow through on their promises of upgrading the site as well.  Do you realize Shaver has at "least" 3-4 different web address that lead you to the same site?  Not that that is a problem, but when one is doing research and you "think" you've found another  manufacture and you come upon the same Shaver site again.

Why do I mention all of this, because I would LIKE to know for my own well being the break down of the furnace...what lies under the skin of this unit.  IF we would have access to this, then we could ascertain "maybe" what the plumbing problem is.

Tree guy...are you referring to the water lines on the rear of the unit?  I'm not connected to either one.  I deleted the coil in the water box for my DHW.   I have a brazed plate unit hanging off my DHW.  The OWB fill feed is coming off the water supply line from the house.  Oh heck, now I'm confusing myself.  Are we all on the same page that the valve to which I'm referring is the valve on the left FRONT of the furnace??  The valve that one opens once a week/month to check if the water level is topped off?

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »

lugnut,,,,, what line( on the stove) do you have the water line ( from the house)that you fill it with?

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »

lugnut,,,,, what line( on the stove) do you have the water line ( from the house)that you fill it with?

Hmmmm...well, lets see.  I believe that the line is "RED" and that line is coming from bottom  of the pump.  It in turn goes to "Orange" pex when it enters the house and it is the "Supply" pipe that goes into the DHW.  The line is "T'd"  for a fill feed to the OWB.
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher

Treewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »

Hmmmm...well, lets see.  I believe that the line is "RED" and that line is coming from bottom  of the pump.  It in turn goes to "Orange" pex when it enters the house and it is the "Supply" pipe that goes into the DHW.  The line is "T'd"  for a fill feed to the OWB.

I don't think your hooked into the valve line.  Yes, the little valve in front, and beside it on the side is the overflow pipe. Can you post a picture of tha back of your unit?  That is where we can tell what your hooked into.

Ed
Ed
Eastern Shore of Va.
Shaver 250
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Komatsu D-21-P
Kobuta B-6100

church

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »

Lugnut,
I just sent you a PM.
Church

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »

I don't think your hooked into the valve line.  Yes, the little valve in front, and beside it on the side is the overflow pipe. Can you post a picture of tha back of your unit?  That is where we can tell what your hooked into.

Ed

Ed,

Whoa...a name.  Thank you.   :D  I have a heck of a time posting photos on this site.  Try as I might, I have failed numerous times.  How about you sending me your email address and I will send the photo to you and you can post the photo on here?  Seriously I
'm NOT trying to pass the buck...I just cannot figure out how to post photos on here an yes, I've down sized them and still no go.  :bash: 

Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
Pages: [1] 2