Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Now's my chance - changing the layout  (Read 1827 times)

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
Now's my chance - changing the layout
« on: December 30, 2016, 10:40:49 AM »

In another post I mentioned that my existing OWF is on the way out and I am looking into a new one.  I think I already made up my mind that repairing the old one is a losing proposition.  So this gives me the opportunity to rework my OWB layout (concrete pad, wood shed, supply/return lines, etc.) to get me a more efficient system.  I am somewhat limited to my existing location as I have two sets of PEX tubing coming to the existing boiler, as well as the electrical conduit and a propane line (although propane will be removed).  I have a pad that is just a hair larger than the existing boiler, and a 16' x 8' timber-frame wood shed sitting on concrete blocks next to it. 

I am considering pouring a new pad which would have both the wood shed and the boiler on it, with the front half of the boiler being inside (or underneath) the wood shed so that in bad weather, I would still be under a roof while feeding and maintaining the boiler.  It would also help to have the wood shed sitting on that same pad, so that I had a hard flat surface to stand on while feeding.  Right now it's just a bed of wood chips.

Also, has anyone has any success with extending OWB supply and return lines?  If I could extend my lines, I could put both the pad and the boiler in a better location.  My old supply lines to the house are the old green 1" PEX inside wrap insulation and a hard corrugated shell.  This is the stuff that Central Boiler used to sell in 2004-ish.  The run to my garage is a very flexible white PEX in a white corrugated shell, from Z-Supply in Michigan.  I can easily extend the PEX, it's the insulation and shell I would be concerned with. 

Looking for best advice on how you would layout your OWB system if you had the chance to do it over.
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Now's my chance - changing the layout
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »

Not sure about Thermopex, but Logstor does offer a splice kit so I’m pretty sure something similar should be available in Thermopex.

Supply from how I understand it basically uses a rigid tile connector, then basically a very large piece of heat shrink tubing to seal the connection.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »

i don't think what he has is thermopex, they used to sell a different product that was more like styrofoam, I think that's what he has. Even as much as I trust Logstor, I would not use the splice kit underground, if you are going to splice it to extend what you have, do yourself a favor and make the connection above ground level
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 07:01:13 AM »

I see no problem with a above ground splice. I have had one for two years and no problems.
installed in 2014

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 05:52:57 AM »

Thinking about it. If you have a inspection box in the ground that you could check you splices. Making sure  they were in good shape.
installed in 2014