Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Warmer heat? or all in my head?  (Read 2327 times)

yoda

• View Profile
Warmer heat? or all in my head?
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:25:02 AM »

Fired up the boiler yesterday and my wife commented how that, even with the thermostat set the same temp as the propane furnace was set at, it feels warmer in the house.

We have forced air furnace and I told the wife it's all in her head, 68 degrees is 68 degrees.  I have to admitt this morning however it does feel warmer in the house, even though the thermostat reads the same 68 degrees.

I started thinking about it more, is it possible it feels warmer because the hot water heat exchanger has hot water running through it continuosly and some warm air is continously radiating from the ductwork even with the furnace blower off? more even heat possibly?or does free heat just feel warmer?
Northern MN

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
Re: Warmer heat? or all in my head?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »

It might be that your "68 degrees" is in more rooms of your house now, and not just near the thermostat.  With the hot water in the heat exchanger, the heat will naturally drift throughout the house, instead of being totally shut off as the heat from the furnace would do.
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

ckbetz

• View Profile
Re: Warmer heat? or all in my head?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »

It could be possible that your exchanger is radiating when your furnace is not calling for heat.  If this becomes a problem you could install a zone valve to keep  the water out of the exchanger when your thermostat is not calling for heat.  Forced air heat tends to be pretty dry, which doesn't feel as warm.  I have often wondered that the heat running through the exchanger may be a little more humid which could make your house feel a little warmer also.
Pomeroy, Ohio