Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Burned a little coal  (Read 8059 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Burned a little coal
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:52:28 PM »

I have a few customers using coal with good results so a few nights ago I threw in a sizeable piece, probably 35 pound lump.  Wow, i threw in a little wood with it and it went right at 24 hours, that night was 7 degrees.  The big surprise was the next fill when I started to fill the stove, I stirred the ashes and seen all that red glowing coal still going.  I put in half as much wood as I would going straight wood and it done great!  Gotta get me a couple ton, 90 a ton tho!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

rick n kristi

• View Profile
Re: Burned a little coal
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:07:33 AM »

I'm burning it too. I wish I could buy it at 90 a ton; I’m paying 190 but getting 24 to 36 hours on a fill of coal and wood. I found a supplier that carries Kentucky Lump. What kind are you burning? There is a thread running in the general discussion category about burning coal, I have posted some of my results there .
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:11:21 AM by rick n kristi »
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:29:22 AM »

I had some coal given to me out of the school system. What is called stoker coal around here. Tried some a few weeks ago, makes hot fire but smokes to bad to suit me. Looks worse than an old coal steam engine. Smells horriable to. Once all that burns off not to bad. Just that first burnoff not worth it to me. Tried some lump coal last winter, it was not any better. Wife hates smell. I think I would rather cut wood myself.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »

I am not a coal expert but have been selling furnaces to coal miners for years. From what I understand there are all different grades of coal, some that burns hotter and less smoke and some that isn't as good.
 If my furnace was close to the house or if the wind ever blows toward the house I doubt I would burn coal. My furnace is 180 feet away and toward the east. I very seldom ever smell any smoke.
 The latest thing I am trying is to mix coal and wood chips. I had a dump truck load of chips given to me by a tree trimming company. Loaded the furnace up tonight with some coal and about 15 shovels of green chips. We will see how well it does. I can say one thing, I don't remember it ever smoking like this before. I guess its the combination of coal and pine chips that has been cut and chipped today.  I am hoping my wood cutting days are over.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

rick n kristi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »

"I don't remember it ever smoking like this before. I guess its the combination of coal and pine chips that has been cut and chipped today"

What does the smoke look like, for how long?
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:12 PM »

Its a very white smoke, I'm sure its mostly from the green chips. So far its burning fine, it has cycled twice since I loaded it. The second time the fan came on it didn't smoke as bad so I'm guessing it will clear up. I don't have any neighbors that the smoke will bother so I really don't care if it smokes the whole time so long as it produces heat. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »

im glad you folks can experiment with coal and are loving the results. Just a note to you all, your coal ash is not good for your wifes flower bed or your garden (where  all my wood ash goes) the sulphur and toxins in your coal ash will likely (sour) your soil to the point of stunted plants or maybe even ruin the dirt in the area they are discarded. Box eem up and take em to the local dump!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »

I will agree that yes the coal stinks.  My stove is on the down wind side of the house at least 75% of the time. 

There is alllllll different grades of coal.  I'm not sure what I was burning other than it was lump coal from a KY mine. 

I would think if you burn you'd be better off setting  a larger swing on your aquastat, like perhaps 175 with a 15 degree differential.  I'm going to try that when I decide to buy some. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »

I dump my ash out in the woods anyway and with coal it is very little ash.  I'm sure that the chips will make a bunch of ash though.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »

im glad you folks can experiment with coal and are loving the results. Just a note to you all, your coal ash is not good for your wifes flower bed or your garden (where  all my wood ash goes) the sulphur and toxins in your coal ash will likely (sour) your soil to the point of stunted plants or maybe even ruin the dirt in the area they are discarded. Box eem up and take em to the local dump!

Had not thought about that Willie,but sure is good to know. Would make the wife an unhappy camper to ruin flower bed!!!! I think I will stick with wood as long as I can. Smells much better. Sometimes wind shifts and blows right at house, wood smoke not to bad coal another story.