Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pump at the OWB or closer to destination?  (Read 1818 times)

Midnight Farms

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Still Researching
    • View Profile
Pump at the OWB or closer to destination?
« on: January 09, 2015, 08:24:18 PM »

What is everyone's opinion on placement of the pump(s)? Is there benefit to putting the pump inside the house and allow it to pull from the OWB?  My assumption is you would not need a pump at the OWB also correct?
Nick

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Pump at the OWB or closer to destination?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:35:19 PM »

It depends.

If the lines in your house are of lower elevation than your boiler, it's probably a better idea to put it there.  If your boiler is lower than the lines coming into the house, then it's probably a better idea to put it there.  These are not absolutes since all installs are different.  All things being relatively level, would you prefer to service a broken circulator in the dead of winter outside in the dark at your boiler or inside with your lines?

Chas

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 04:28:48 AM »

Mine are inside. One in the basement and the other one is near the floor in my polebarn.... both below the level of the OWB. Something to remember is that these aren't "pumps", they are circulators and they won't "pull". I have a 180' run from the OWB to my house without alot of fall, and if I set my Bell and Gossett NRF-36 on the highest speed, It makes a strange sound that makes me think the pump is trying to push the water faster than gravity is feeding it.
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »

My pumps are inside the structure; did not want to have to troubleshoot and replace pumps while sitting in a snow bank.  ...cause every knows MURPHY's Law (pumps fail at night, of a holiday weekend, while guests are over and the load is the heaviest)