Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newbie Looking for Input on OWB  (Read 2361 times)

ramair09

• View Profile
Newbie Looking for Input on OWB
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »

Hello Everyone,
I currently have a wood furnace in the basement but really want to build an outdoor unit. I have been doing research on other peoples boilers and looking at pictures and watching videos on YouTube. Anyway here is what I have come up with in Sketchup (I know my Sketchup skills need some work but I think you get the idea). The firebox is a 500 gallon propane tank cut to 3 feet in length and the exhaust will be 2.75 OD pipe, not square tubing like in the pictures. If I don't change anything it will have right at 650 gallons of water capacity. I have access to a full shop and enjoy fabrication projects. The questions I have are:

1) Is it a good idea to have 4 pipes coming off the firebox? I will have a clean out door in the front so creosote shouldn't be a problem if I stay on top of it right?
2. Should the pipes coming off the firebox be higher? I have them basically in the center similar to some other builds.
3) If I am going through the work to build this should I consider building it a gasser? I have access to all the wood I want, just not sure if I should dive into that project on my first build. 
4) I want the main body of it off the ground so there is less chance of rust on the bottom but this thing is going to weigh around 7000 lbs. I do have another 500 gal propane tank would it be wise to make the boiler hold ~200 gallons and use the propane tank for additional storage?

This build is very much in the planning phase right now but I want to get my ducks in a row before I start.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Looking for Input on OWB
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »

Ramair
It looks to me like your 4 exhaust pipes will have areas (rear vertical) that will be hard to access and keep clean.  Build ups could be a huge issue here.  My fire tubes come off a header on the top of the firebox.  (The firebox is also lined with firebrick to try and get a hotter fire). Also if your sketch is accurate, the four water legs on the boiler shell will be dead spots that may be prone to collecting sediment.  Drain plugs or valves here may help flushing.
My .02
Muskoka, Ont