Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 16491 times)

Airgap

• View Profile
Hello
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:56:53 AM »

Hi everyone, my name's Josh.  I just joined up, and I still can't believe there is a forum just about OWB's.....

I guess there's one for everything...

I have been building my own for a couple months now in my spare time. I am going to try and get some pictures posted.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you...

Airgap

• View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:34 AM »

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:54 AM »

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »

Looks like you are progressing nicely on your build. There is lots of information here that will be helpful. This only my second year with OWB sure saves on heating bill. You have to like cutting wood for them. Mine loves wood. I had thought about building my own before i purchased one. At the time just couldn't fit it into schedule. Hats off to all those that do though. Welcome to form.

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »

Thanks Mike. I wish i had found this forum before I started. I hope to have it up and running in the next few weeks. I have a good bit of time that I can take off from work, and the initial cost of a new stove sealed the deal for me....I also just like building stuff.... ;D

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »

Nice to see another furnace coiming to life. :thumbup:
Nice job on your fabrication.DId you put any air or water in it to check for leaks on your seams?
I can't tell from your pics,but did you design any adjustment into your doors hinges so you can adjust them to keep them sealed shut?
That seems to be a major area for air leaks and control problem on these boilers.
Great job and keep the pics coming! :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »

Thanks jackel. No I haven't tested it for leaks. I should have, but I'm a welder by trade so I'm prettty confident in the welds. I didn't design any adjust ment in the hinges, but I have 2 rows of rope gasket where it seals. I will have to adjust if I have a problem though.

I'm hoping to get the siding on it this week. I insulated most of it on saturday. I will be putting up more pics as I go along.

The pics I have posted don't show the vertical stack, or the door handle which I am happy about how it turned out.

I really need to get this thing up and running or I won't be keeping the promise to my better half about having it heating the house this winter.... :-[

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 06:50:01 PM »

Thanks jackel. No I haven't tested it for leaks. I should have, but I'm a welder by trade so I'm prettty confident in the welds. I didn't design any adjust ment in the hinges, but I have 2 rows of rope gasket where it seals. I will have to adjust if I have a problem though.

I'm hoping to get the siding on it this week. I insulated most of it on saturday. I will be putting up more pics as I go along.

The pics I have posted don't show the vertical stack, or the door handle which I am happy about how it turned out.

I really need to get this thing up and running or I won't be keeping the promise to my better half about having it heating the house this winter.... :-[
I am right there with ya about telling the wife it will heat the house THIS winter.
I am a Millwright and welder by trade also,but welding vessels so they don't leak is another thing.I would advise you to fill it with water or low air pressure.(like about 5lbs), and check it before you close it all up.I would sure hate to see you go to all the trouble then have to pull it apart because of a contaminated weld.
good luck and keep the pics coming :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »

I have done some pipe and boiler welding, always liked to test if possible. Wish you the best.
Keep the pics coming.

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4