Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 5403 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Oil
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »

10k miles on a new vehicle is no problem. Engines these days are so clean running and so efficient from what they were even 10 years ago, thanks to the good ol EPA playing a part in this our wood stoves are on the same path.  There is a company called black stone laboratories that will test your oil for you after it's used and tell you what's in it, how much life is left in the oil, what additives are left in the oil and how much, if your engine is wearing something that's not supposed to be wearing out, they can tell you how well your oil filter is cleaning, they can even tell you what kind of gasoline you use by the additives in the different types of gasoline. My drag strip car ended up having a slightly leaky head stud and black stone caught it because there was slightly elevated coolant levels in the oil, tiny traces, parts per million. After 10k miles on my wife's Toyota that oil could go another 5k (so they say at blackstone) without having to worry about anything, that is the cheapest off the shelf Mobil 1 available, not taking brad penn or amsoil.  3000 and 5000 mile oil changes are a thing of the past.  It's the oil filters that are holding us back from 20k OCI not the oil.  That being said, stay away from fram filters.

I’m gonna start doing more oil sampling especially of hydraulic oil. Wasn’t bad on the older tractors when it took maybe 5 gallons to change all the hydraulic oil out, these newer ones run a common sump on the transmissions now, use Hy Trans for hydraulic oil and gear lube, changing 5 gallons is one thing even if it didn’t “need it” but almost using up a fifty five gallon drum of oil for one tractor to change the front and rear is quite a different story especially if you have three tractors like that.

I can imagine that gets over the 2000 dollar price tag.  Wouldn't want to do it either.

And its messy as well, front transmission holds like 22 gallons and the rear holds 26, nice big drain plug as well so it comes out like a fire hose, better have at least five empty 5 gallon buckets ready. If this was an all the time kinda thing I’d take about the bottom foot of a fifty five gallon drum and plumb a pump into the bottom and hopefully suck it out and into the waste oil burner storage as fast as it drains.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »

10k miles on a new vehicle  That being said, stay away from fram filters.

Whats wrong with fram filters??
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »

Probably one of the worst you can put on your engine.  Little filter area and cardboard flow back rings.  Not something I'd invest in.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 08:18:58 AM »

I buy all my filters for the year all at once from Filter1.com. They only sell Wix filters which seem good to me. They have really good prices as compared to any place around here.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 10:46:46 AM »

Wix filters are definitely good quality filters. 
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:38 AM »

I buy all my filters for the year all at once from Filter1.com. They only sell Wix filters which seem good to me. They have really good prices as compared to any place around here.

Not sure about other peoples usage, but if you’re buying over $500 a year in Wix filters they have a discount program you can sign up  for, spring sale also applies as well. A few weeks back I restocked the shelves in the shop, had 2 1/2 of those plastic boxes they ship parts in. I have a spreadsheet I print out for filters, filter number, number in  stock, number needed last column is to order, fill it out and drop it off at our parts store and they get em ordered.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: 1 [2]