Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Replace Door Gasket, how often?  (Read 6047 times)

Banna

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Replace Door Gasket, how often?
« on: March 17, 2017, 06:51:08 AM »

About had a boil over yesterday, happen to be home and caught it. Thank goodness.

How often would the door gasket need to be changed? Air was getting in from somewhere so I am guessing my gasket is bad. It's 3 years old.

Thanks

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Replace Door Gasket, how often?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:38:11 AM »

If the gasket is bad you should have a constant over temp issue. If it is a one time deal it more than likely a mechanical or human error issue.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:39:48 AM by shepherd boy »
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:27:41 AM »

If the gasket is bad you should have a constant over temp issue. If it is a one time deal it more than likely a mechanical or human error issue.

:post:

Exactly, you don’t post what stove your using, but make sure the damper is free as well as any solenoid that might run it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Banna

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »

I have a Ridgewood stove

The damper was shut when I got to it, but could have stuck open. I never thought of that. The fire was flaming inside the stove when I opened the door. It was burning good.
The gasket looks to be in good shape, I have seen worse. I will most likely be shutting down next week, but will be keeping an eye on it until then.

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »

The firerope should have a clear groove in it from the door jamb all the way around. Also from what I've seen pictures of some of the cracking issues Ridgewood has had it could pull air from the cracks at the corners of the door jamb. These aren't on the door jamb itself but on the front face of the firebox. Would be easy to miss.
It's not water-cooled so you don't want to weld back solid, rather do a scab over the crack welding only on one side so it can expand.
But like was mentioned a solenoid issue sounds more probable.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:42:25 PM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 12:01:45 AM »

One of my co workers had his door jamb crack on his ridgewood.  Had no luck with warranty so I brough him my welder and we fixed it ourself.  It was in fact the crack causing an overtemp on warmer days. Cold days didn't show an issue.  My rope gasket has made 2 seasons so far without any issues.  I wet the rope with wd-40 about once a month.  I bought a gallon jug from the hardware store and a cheap 5 dollar, 1 gallon garden sprayer that I use to spray it.  It will absorb almost a pint of wd once a month.  Keeps it soft and pliable and I also noticed the door latch has more resistance when locking it after the gasket has been wet down.  Once the latch gets easy to close I pull out the sprayer!  Whenever the gallon jugs of wd come on sale I always grab one.  Most of the time you can get one for 10 bucks. Lasts me about 1 whole year.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

Banna

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:15:03 AM »

I'll give the WD40 tip a try.

I hung a counter weight on the door latch to help snug up the door and adjusted the tension on the latch a litle. I am going to remove the counter weight today, I will be home to keep an eye on it. It seems to be back to normal.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »

I replace my door gasket every 2 yrs..At the end of the 2nd year the door gasket has pretty much had it..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 01:46:54 AM »

I replace my door gasket every 2 yrs..At the end of the 2nd year the door gasket has pretty much had it..

Try the wd40 trick.  I bet you can get 4 years out of it this way. 

Another thing I'd like to add for you guys adjusting your doors.  When I bought my stove the door was adjusted pretty snug on the gasket.  Wasn't real impressed by the indent that it left but the company said that's how it should be.  Being the kind of person I am I didn't listen and adjusted the latch and hinge about another additional half inch tighter. I literally had to jam that door shut with all my might to get the latch to grab.  Then I also had to push the handle down with almost my whole 225 pounds to get the door locked.  The gasket now has over a half inch indent in it from the stove.  Im willing to assume that my door gasket will last 10 years this way.  There is no way any air will leak past it, even if it gets hard and dried out it would take a lot of effort for air to travel through it.  Props to my father in law for teaching me this, he hasn't replaced a door gasket ever.

Edit:  I know it sounds kinda brutal on the stove but I'm not really afraid to break something either.  If you're the type that's worried about breaking something then this method might not be for you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:49:21 AM by aarmga »
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

Banna

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 06:22:59 AM »

Sprayed it down with WD yesterday, it soaked it up.

Everything running like it should. Looks like the middle of the week I will be shutting it down for the year.

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »

Everything running like it should. Looks like the middle of the week I will be shutting it down for the year.

Don't be afraid to spray that gasket after you shut the stove down and even a time or 2 throughout the summer months.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:01:17 AM »

I don't think you'll damage anything by tightening it up. If you do they didn't build it strong enough. Keeping it tight does eliminate blow-by which from what I've seen is the main cause of fire rope failure. Creosote condenses on the rope and then it seats unevenly and you've got to replace. A rope on a tight door should last 5-10 years. A deep groove helps.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »

Don't be afraid to spray that gasket after you shut the stove down and even a time or 2 throughout the summer months.

Great idea!!!!!! :thumbup:friggin rope is pricey, but I got the last one from the stealer.

Wd 40:Old post office trick for waterproofing leather boots [smells up your socks abit ,,,but who cares]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:20:14 AM by kommandokenny »
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 08:54:48 AM »

Try the wd40 trick.  I bet you can get 4 years out of it this way. 

Another thing I'd like to add for you guys adjusting your doors.  When I bought my stove the door was adjusted pretty snug on the gasket.  Wasn't real impressed by the indent that it left but the company said that's how it should be.  Being the kind of person I am I didn't listen and adjusted the latch and hinge about another additional half inch tighter. I literally had to jam that door shut with all my might to get the latch to grab.  Then I also had to push the handle down with almost my whole 225 pounds to get the door locked.  The gasket now has over a half inch indent in it from the stove.  Im willing to assume that my door gasket will last 10 years this way.  There is no way any air will leak past it, even if it gets hard and dried out it would take a lot of effort for air to travel through it.  Props to my father in law for teaching me this, he hasn't replaced a door gasket ever.

Edit:  I know it sounds kinda brutal on the stove but I'm not really afraid to break something either.  If you're the type that's worried about breaking something then this method might not be for you.
Interesting about the WD40 trick! Ill have to try it
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »

If your going to replace your gasket might as well do the silicone trick and have a better gasket as well.

1: Scrape all residue out of the door track, if any rust is present go ahead and fix that as well.

2: Using high heat silicone place a generous bead in the door track, go ahead and work some silicone into the new rope as well.

3: Place the rope in the door track as you would a normal rope, spread more high heat silicone over the rope.

4: Using a putty knife work the silicone smooth, if desired masking tape can be used for a neater appearance when done.

5: Place wax paper over the fresh silicone and gently close the door, then open and leave open for at least 24 hours for the silicone to cure, given the amount of silicone 48 hours might be better. If wax paper isn’t available I cut strips of aluminum foil and just leave it attached to the silicone.

6: Remove the wax paper and enjoy your new gasket.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: [1] 2