Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: underground pipes  (Read 5079 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
underground pipes
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »

boys (and girls) i am rushing to get a home made boiler into a temporary location for the winter  i need to leave teh insulated pex on top of the ground for the winter (or put it inside another tile to protect it from UV rays (i needed)  is there one versus the others for this type of above ground install. Also when this thing goes to its final resting spot it would be easier for me to bury part of the piep and leave part of it running above ground under a deck with only about 10 inches of clearance between teh wood and the earth so 30 feet of the anticipated 110 feet would be above ground perminent

What would you all suggest?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
Re: underground pipes
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »

I just put in a run of Logstor pipe. I am running it just a few inches under the soil and it is remarkable stuff. The outer shell is super thick compared to the rest of the stuff out there. I put it in a 6 inch corrugated pipe to give it some extra protection and a 8 inch culvert where I may drive over it. I would not hesitate to put it with out an outer covering but for a couple hundred bucks for the extra protection. I have cut my heating bill significantly the winter so far. I am running my stove 20 degrees cooler, filling it less often and it is saving me money. It is a bear to work with but well worth the extra effort. The website says the black pipe has a UV stabilizer.  http://www.urecon.com/systems/flexible_systems.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:06:05 PM by hoardac »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »

i have logstor in my own  trench at my house as well..i am wondering if it can take teh uv from sitting on the ground or if it needs to be buried, or if i fur it inside another larger farm tile to protect it from the uv rays? i know the heat loss will be alittle more as the above ground temps will be much colder than the earth (if buried deep)  but  i can put up with that as it will be a short run
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:08:10 PM »

Just edited my post to say that there is a UV stabilizer in the black pipe.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »

Willie, I believe I'd cover it, it's just me but the sun is soo hard on many plastics.   I can't picture companies putting much effort into uv protection on underground pipe
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 09:49:10 PM »

Willie, I believe I'd cover it, it's just me but the sun is soo hard on many plastics.   I can't picture companies putting much effort into uv protection on underground pipe
i would like to leave the 30 feet under the porch just lay on the ground..i could put it in another tile and it would not see much light uner the wooden deck. if i cover it i will have to run it across the laneway where some pretty big machinery travel....plus i was trying to avoid messing up all that nice expensive gravel..i would have about 70 feet buried in the lawn and 30 feet laying under the porch.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 05:02:57 AM »

Willie I would agree with Scott here and say that leaving it above ground permanently would be asking for trouble but I have left it above ground for the winter and seen no issues.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:27 AM »

thanks guys..i will be leaving it above ground for the winter and i guess i will have to make the mess of the lane and dig it up come spring
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »

boys (and girls) i am rushing to get a home made boiler into a temporary location for the winter  i need to leave teh insulated pex on top of the ground for the winter (or put it inside another tile to protect it from UV rays (i needed)  is there one versus the others for this type of above ground install. Also when this thing goes to its final resting spot it would be easier for me to bury part of the piep and leave part of it running above ground under a deck with only about 10 inches of clearance between teh wood and the earth so 30 feet of the anticipated 110 feet would be above ground perminent

What would you all suggest?

willie my father enlaw had a problem with his lines leaking.....not the lines but the black plastic housing on 3 wrap insulated pipe.....water was getting in the line and leaking water in basement.....so this summer we dug it up and slid the 4 inch piping in a blue 6 inch plastic pipe looks like heavy duty water line....like towns install .has an o ring to slide the pipes together and seals them tight....it was a bugger but he has had no issues since.....you can get 45 and so on for this pipe I will see what it's called and pass the info on to you..... well worth it...
Kelly

willie the pipe was called SDR pipe
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:58:36 AM by baldwin racing »
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

woodedacres

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250 Coal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

after a bad rain i have the same issue with the corrugated pipe leaking water into the basement. did you notice a compromise to the corrugated when you dug it up? i for the life of me cannot understand why this has happened. 5 wrap badger pipe this is the beginning of 2nd season with pipe and no issues till this week....puzzled

baldwin racing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »

after a bad rain i have the same issue with the corrugated pipe leaking water into the basement. did you notice a compromise to the corrugated when you dug it up? i for the life of me cannot understand why this has happened. 5 wrap badger pipe this is the beginning of 2nd season with pipe and no issues till this week....puzzled

we found that when they barried the pipe that there were some small rocks that poked holes in the corrugated pipe.... water filled pipe then ran to house....lowest spot......I highly recommend burring in sand....I put 12 inch on bottom set pipe in then barried completely except the last 6 inches on top ran top soil from what I dug up.....I had a sand pit in my neighbors field so getting sand was easy and free for me.........I also do not drive where the pipe is.....I go around the other side of the house with heavy machinery....we dug it up put in sdr pipe with sand wrapped around it just incase......slid the 3 wrap back in and hooked it up....it works great.....you will burn a lot more wood running hot water threw cool wet water in lines just so you know.....its pulling the heat out of your 5 wrap lines....

kelly
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:10:08 PM by baldwin racing »
husqvarna 357 xp
farmall H

woodedacres

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250 Coal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »

that's what's confusing right now. consumption doesn't seem effected yet anyways.

baldwin racing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »

that's what's confusing right now. consumption doesn't seem effected yet anyways.

you may not notice it now but when it gets down to 0- F or below you will notice it....keep an eye on water level make shure your not loosing the water slowly either......out of the lines....
Kelly

let us know what you find....if I can help you with any info send a pm...
husqvarna 357 xp
farmall H

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »

Allow me to invite you to my home and watch me load the bucket of my CAT 416 backoe loader with gravel, throw down a scrap piece of Logstor onto the gravel driveway and then drive over it with the CAT, ANY WAGERS
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 05:30:11 AM »

Slim - I am not doubting the fact that Logstor pipe is strong as it was a brute to handle, but I was not going to take a gamble with my investment and buried my Logstor surrounded in a nice bed of screened sand. Probably close to 8-10 inches all around it. I had some rocks when I dug the trench.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Pages: [1] 2