Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Shut down OWF for the Season  (Read 14242 times)

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
Re: Shut down OWF for the Season
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »

Anyone have any good methods of getting a bucket on a high stack???
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »

Put the bucket on the end of a long stick of some kind and raise it up to the stack and slide over, then remove stick.  Seen it done, but never did it (don't have a very high stack myself).  It worked nicely.  I think my buddy used a piece of metal conduit, as I recall.
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!

tbone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »

Last year I used a ladder and a shovel...and wedged the spade end onto the side of the bucket with the handle...it didn't go too smoothly. Guess I need to find a long extension pole of some kind.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »

Lug,
Do you have another heat source?  I would think we will have some cold night still to come.  I run mine til mid april.  I'm burnin very little wood and relighting is a pain, so I keep mine going.

tbone...I have my in house gas furnace.  It's been relatively warm here at night these last couple weeks...maybe down to 42.  I "thought" about keeping the fire going, but just like you...it's a pain in the butt to re-light....oh wait, you're talking about re-lighting it from the git-go...sorry.  Mine is a pain if when I get out there in the morning and I just have a few hot embers glowing.

The other reason I'd rather shut down now is because folks have their windows open and although my closest neighbor is about 3000' from me, I'd rather them not have to smell my OWF.

If the temps do drop once again to remind us that it is STILL winter, then I'll turn the power back on and fire her up.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

tbone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »

Lugnut,

I take it you have learned the value of keeping dry split wood on hand at all times...
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »

Lugnut,

I take it you have learned the value of keeping dry split wood on hand at all times...

Yes I have.  I ordered up some wood back before Christmas...4 full cords.  I just ordered up a half face cord and got it on Saturday...it's all dry and most of it split, but there are a few pieces I need to split.  Will be getting a NEW wood splitter at the end of the month, at least my wife says she thinks we can afford one then.  Looking at the Ariens 27 ton.

Much easier to start a new fire with really nice dry wood...the older the better.  :-)

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »

Anyone have any good methods of getting a bucket on a high stack???
High stack OWB owner here.. What I do I stand on the roof of my OWB..Yes it can hold you.. I take a empty sheet rock mud bucket..Then i take a 16 foot conduct pole..Put the bucket on the end of the pole..Then lift the bucket up.. Then set the bucket..Works slick

Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »

I only have 2 sections of stack I plan on takeing them off for the summer, then the unit will blend in I just went on top of to instal them I did not screw them together incase I had creosote issues
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »

I only have 2 sections of stack I plan on takeing them off for the summer, then the unit will blend in I just went on top of to instal them I did not screw them together incase I had creosote issues

Johnybcold - I'm thinking of doing the samething with my e-classic 1400.  Simply remove the 2 stacks, clean them thoroughly (if they need cleaning) and store them until they are needed again.  I then can cover over the opening without having to climb on anything (I can't climb anyway - deathly afraid of heights).

Last week I performed a thorough cleaning of the owb and I took a mirror to look up the chimney.  It was as clean as the day it way installed.  Having the winter (If you want to call it that) to learn the ins and outs of the 1400, I have learned that there is no way the creosote can migrate to the chimney.  It stays in the firebox where it burns (heck, free heat) unless it gets in the air holes...that's the only downside to the design of the 1400 - the welded in place side panels make it difficult to remove any creosote that may make its way inside the air holes.  I understand the E-classic 1450's design is better.  Some of the side panels inside the firebox can be removed to aid in cleaning.     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

rhugg

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »

In Boyscouts they sent me for a skyhook.  Evidently it is a very useful device and they get loaned out a lot.

Then there was the bucket of team and the left handed tent stretcher which are also hard to get your hands on :o

woodfuel

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: cl5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »

I just shut down for the season. (Well, until I setup the above ground pool.) I decided to take off the top of the two stacks to check creosote build up. The amount was next to nothing. I'll leave this stack off and put the cover that came on the original opening on the top of the one stack.

Hydronix

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Effecta
  • OWF Model: 35kw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »

I also put a timer on my pumps so they run about 30min a day just to keep things mixed up and keep the pumps from sitting all summer.  I don't know if it is really necessary but for the little bit of electric it takes to run the pumps, it seems like a good idea to keep things mixed up and ready to go.

This is a very good idea, but 10 minutes once a month is fine. There are boiler controls that do this specifically, to prevent corrosion from locking up the impeller. I am very surprised there aren't more posts and advise from installers/sales to this topic. I would follow manufacturers I&O manual to the tee, to maintain your warranty. It helps to have a log book of this, so there are no questions if something ever arises. Air & steel don't play well together.

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »

My oil tank was empty so I ordered 100 gallons to make hot water for the summer and in case I ever have a problem with my owf, my wife left a blank check near the oil fill pipe, I get home check the tank and it is full,, wtf!! So I call the oil company and ask why my slip says 100 gallons which is crossed off and now the bill is 680 more then double he says well the check was blank, and he knows I have the owf my cb dealer is in the same building ,
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »

Sometime in the very near future I'll be borrowing a design I found on the web for a solar collector to heat my potable hotwater during the summer months and use my owb to heat it during the time the owb is in service.  After sweating in the water tank and no leaks were found, I'm have more confidence in my abilities to sweat the copper together for the collector part of the unit and the building of the structure to hold it all together is a snap with a little common sense and common power tools.  I already have the circ pump.  All I need now is a 4ftx8ft sheet of marine grade plywood, pressure treated 2x4's, some stainless steel screws and I have nearly everything to make this thing.  I'll take pics as I progress and post for others to see.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »

Well today (5-21-12) my OWB went out for the season..Been running since Oct 1, 2011..Total cord burned a little over nine cord...Hate hearing the oil furnace running lol..But Ill clean the OWB up get is ready for the fall..Gotta replace a grate as i saw today..Already ordered up! Pole shed being built this summer..Ill be posting pics of that..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire
Pages: 1 [2] 3