Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: chain saw sharpener  (Read 3664 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
chain saw sharpener
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:10:55 PM »

got tired of paying to get chains "trued"..after so many filings i lose that perfect cut and after paying (in our area) upwards of 12 bucks to sharpen a chain, i bout the TSC special for 149...works quite well actually, took me an old chain or two to get all the settings just right but i have had good sharp chains for the past 2 weeks. i may never file again..lol

a good file in teh field is handy...but a bucket of sharp chains is nice if you happen to hit the ground or something in the wood that damages the chain"beyond the file"
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
Re: chain saw sharpener
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »

willie i agree i have a oregon sharpener at work. i can take take the rakers down a bit and hold on!! really throws some corn chips!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »

i am still learning how to get a good sharp chian rosewood...i have stihl cahin and it recomends a 30 degree angle on the base of the sharpener and the grinding wheel at 60..i ahve had good luck with these settings but i now find that stihl recomends another angle of 10 degrees tip on the base? do you use this degree as well..i haven't yet and my chains seem to be as good as new. my next chsin i am going to try it.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:02:26 PM »

Willie I have a oregon, it has a 10deg tilt. My chains on husky call for the 10 deg. 60 and 30. Only used it a few times so far still learning. Haven't tried with out tilt may work just as good. One thing for sure it dosen't take long to sharpen a chain and they cut a lot better than when I hand filed.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:44:54 PM »

i hand filed decently..but it takes time and  after a few i always had one side off a degree or and i would get that crooked cut..this way there is no down time..change the chain and get going i am going totry and sharpen one with the 10 degree tilt this weekend and see if it makes much difference ..i have saved a lot of old chains over the years for cutting garbage like the pallets my boss sends home every now and then. they have about one sharpening left in them so if i bugger them up..no great loss. chalk it up to R and D
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada