Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thinking of replacing Portage and Main BL 2840 with G200!!  (Read 3318 times)

cando attitude

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
Thinking of replacing Portage and Main BL 2840 with G200!!
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »

Perhaps a question to slim, mlappin and others that have been around the boiler block, I am seriously considering replacing my 2840 with a g200 and wondering if I would really be satisfied with this decision.  I do like my BL but also like the idea of less wood (burn about 12 cords now) and less smoke.

BL is about 3 years old and in good shape, wondering what would be a reasonable asking price and also what I could expect to pay for a new g200.  I would do changeout myself.

???

Cando
Producing a little smoke, here in  South Central Ohio....
Echo CS 400
Jonsered 2255
Case 35B
Dirty hands splitter
2013 3500 Duramax

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
Re: Thinking of replacing Portage and Main BL 2840 with G200!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »

We just got our G400 hooked up. Already I can tell you they really do burn only half as much wood. Filled the fire box half full and this morning it had only burnt half of it. Our MF 10,000 would definitely have been cold by morning. We're heating a drafty farm house, a drafty Milkhouse, hot water to the barn, and showers for 8. It basically doesn't smoke (not like that was a surprise).

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 02:56:58 AM »

Well that is a hard question to ponder, Thanks for trusting enough in my abilities to ask me personally!
They are both very good units with cutting edge technologies in their own fields, that being said, comparing the two is difficult  because the BL in my opinion is probably the best conventional OWB on the market, conventional's typically don't care what the quality of wood is going in the box, they don't care what the shape or size is either as they are updraft units. The BL is probably the most efficient of the conventional boilers on the market at this point. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here a bit because a new product came out a few months ago that is very close to what I have been asking manufacturers to do for many years, a dry firebox boiler, only time will tell how it performs in the field. I would expect a savings of 10-30% by switching over to a G series unit as compared with either of those units, again only time in the field will tell the real story! As a service guy who specializes in proper service and install I like the G series better than any gasser that I have seen so far because of the ability to access any part of the boiler easily that needs service, but they do require service!
Along those lines, I would like to give those in the industry that have devoted a huge investment in time, effort and monies to bring new products to the market a big thumbs up. old technologies were nothing but a barrel in a barrel with a door and smoke pipe, any nit wit could build one in his shop effectively, today's technologies in the OWB industry have evolved into teams of research and development people, the folks who have invested are still in the game, those that have not are now closed, along with them being closed, the buyer now has nothing for a warranty and they have given a black eye to the entire industry.
Cando, I believe you bought your BL on my advice or at least considered it, if so Thank You again and in closing I think my advice to you would be to take the wait and see attitude for another year or two and see what the market has to offer. I have an idea that within the next few years some amazing things will be coming onto the market that you may want to get in on at that point, soooo as long as you aren't having issues with your unit or the service you get from the office, I think I would ride it out for awhile!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

cando attitude

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 05:30:46 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, slim.  I did indeed pick your brain initially and don't regret my decision a bit.  I am hearing about 4000 sq ft along with DHW, so I feel the ole girl is doing pretty well.  I've been very satisfied with this unit.  Part of me just likes the newest technology although that might not always be the best return.  I think I will ride this out for awhile.  I do appreciate your candid position and looking at it objectively.  I guess that's why you've got such a good reputation on this forum.

Happy burning,

Cando
Producing a little smoke, here in  South Central Ohio....
Echo CS 400
Jonsered 2255
Case 35B
Dirty hands splitter
2013 3500 Duramax

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 01:30:27 AM »

Thank you!

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 03:58:45 AM »

This forum would be lost without you thank you for all your help and dedication to us and the industry!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 04:14:14 AM »

Thank you BUT no one person makes this forum, it's an exchange of ideas from like minded people, I simply believe in burning wood to heat our homes regardless of who the manufacturer is that makes the boiler a person chooses, most of us here choose to burn wood, we know the benefits to our families, by attempting to stay neutral on brands we can perhaps help others to promote the concept and therefor expand the market. Without all the great folks who are regulars on here that are willing to help, there would not be the thousands of members. I have nothing to do with ownership or operation of any forums but I sure do enjoy those early mornings that I can come on here to visit with my friends. Thanks and Merry Christmas!