Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: First Failed Pump  (Read 3192 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
First Failed Pump
« on: December 31, 2015, 06:38:36 AM »

So this morning at work before heading home I looked at my Mfi monitoring software and saw that around 8 pm the temp started dropping in the primary loop on my primary/secondary piping system. I figured that maybe the firebox bridged out on me or something. Well I then looked at my Fan coil and saw that it had been running since around 11 PM and continued running all night! Well now surely I had a problem somwhere but I wasnt sure where yet. When I got home I felt the primary loop, very hot up top and cold down at the bottom. The taco 007 that pumps the primary loop 24/7 was HOT!. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I got just a little clunk but obviously it wasnt moving any water. So I shut the isolation valves of and unbolted it from the pipes. I plugged it in again as soon as it was out, again a click but the impeller didn't move. So I stuck a screw driver in and the impeller spun  easy. So I plugged it in again and the impeller spun right up without an issue. So I had a spare( another used 007) and decided to bolt that up instead. After I bolted that up, opened the isolation valves back up and looked for leaks I went over to the make up water for the system and looked at the pressure on the boiler gauge. The boiler gauge read 0 psi, hmm. So I opened up my manual make up water valve and let it fill up. Took about 30 seconds of the valve being just cracked open to bring the system up to 22 psi. So here is my question. The 007 is mounted with the motor in the VERTICAL position with the impeller being at the top. The manual for the 007 says that this is permissible if the system remains above 20 psi. I was cheap and did not put an auto make up water valve on the oil boiler(the oil boiler does have a low water cut out) so I have to manually crack open the valve and watch the psi come up if the pressure drops for some reason. Now I had not checked the PSI in probably a month because it seemed to have been holding steady at 20-22 psi. I am coming to the conclusion that the psi dropped at some point for some reason(small leak maybe that I don't see or bad pressure relief valve) which caused the pump to operate at little to no PSI causing it to lock up. I am going to add an auto make up water valve now to the system.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: First Failed Pump
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »

Is there a reason you need to mount the pump that way?

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 07:43:15 PM »

Honda, I cannot speak about the Taco brands requirements but I do have Bell & Gossett and Grundfos pumps and they both state that the motor shafts must be mounted in the horizontal position. I have installed just about every brand pump over the years for work and we always keep the shaft horizontal on typical residential size pumps. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 12:51:13 AM »

the taco paper work I have seen says all 00 pumps should be mounted with motor horizontal. One exception is it can be mounted with motor vertical UP if there is at least 20 psi in the system
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:56:43 AM »

The reason behind mounting circs with the motor shaft in the horizontal position is that if mounted the way you have it, it will pick up air in the impeller well, the impeller will not move air! If it is possible, I always mount my circs vertically and pushing water upwards, this ensures that as long as there is water in the system, the circ will not get air bound.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 10:30:28 AM »

Well it appears that I had a brain fart when I looked at the 007 chart on mounting. You are right it says the motor cartridge needs to be above the impeller when mounting vertical. The reason that I mounted the pump on the horizontal run of my primary/secondary loop is because of the locations of the other Secondary piping around the loop. I didn't feel like the pump could easily go anywhere else. I was going to order a 'Rotated Flange' 007 so that the motor could sit horizontal but I figured that I would see how long this one would go mounted this way(the motor was given to me). I think that I am just going to flip it over now that I realized that I have the pump upside down and I am going to watch the pressure to ensure that it stays up.

Drivebymashing

• OWF Brand: Earth Outdoor
  • OWF Model: 305 Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:48:04 PM »

Im impressed with the install looks well put together. Very professional. My set up looks like a mechanic put it to together. OH wait I am a mechanic...
Husqvarna 445
Husqvarna 262xp
Husqvarna 55
2004 Corvette Z06
1971 Deuce and a half 10x10

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 02:13:10 AM »

Very well done Honda! Can you spin the flanges and get the shaft horizontal? One more thing, I not sure if it's allowed in NH but here in the over regulated state of Maine, it is illegal to use a ball valve on your expansion tank, we all do it for future servicing but we remove the handle and hang it up so it doesn't get turned off by accident, there is a service check valve available specifically for the purpose but I happen to be all out of them and my supply house can't seem to find any out there.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »

Thanks for the positive comments. I don't know if it is code or not but I will remove the handle on the ball valve. The flanges would hit the mounting board if I spun them but I could cut out the board there.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 02:51:21 AM »

Are you sure, it looks like you have room enough, you might need to cut one of the isolation valve handles but otherwise I think you should be OK.

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »

You can get 007 taco pumps with flanges both ways. Look for a rotated flange pump.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole