Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: trailer winch  (Read 2428 times)

ralphxj

• OWF Brand: Eco-Max
  • OWF Model: 125
    • View Profile
trailer winch
« on: February 28, 2016, 07:29:22 PM »

Finally have a trailer for firewood. Got a 14x5 utility trailer that is going to be setup for pulling logs and wood onto the trailer, I'm sick of lifting it. I will be putting a winch on the trailer and I'm wondering if I should go with a 5000lb or a 9000lb winch. I will be building a log arch onto the back of the trailer to help lift the logs onto the trailer. Might also build a side lift for the bigger rounds that are cut down to firewood size onside.

The winch will be in a cradle that is mounted to a hitch on the front of the trailer and will also be able to be used on the back of the Jeep for when I can't get close enough to drag the logs out of the woods to the trailer

What do you guys have/recommend??

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: trailer winch
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:37:42 PM »

A 5000b should be plenty, if that ain’t enough winch the trailer ain’t gonna handle it anyways.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:05:12 PM »

The rating is going to be for a single layer of cable on the drum. It will be less when the spool if full. If you have a decent power source for it, I would look for one with a larger rating and faster cable speed unless you have lots of time to watch the logs creep onto the trailer.

ralphxj

• OWF Brand: Eco-Max
  • OWF Model: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 04:23:51 AM »

I don't an on pulling any 5k logs, I was more worried about the times when they dig into the dirt while being pulled or snag on other logs or limbs on their way out adding to the weight. We also figured the winch would be able to pull double the weight of the Jeep it was mounted on, so I figured about the same for logs, but since they aren't on wheels I wasn't sure.

The 9k winch uses less amps when pulled at say 3k then a 5k winch would, I would have to check the line speed, I'm sure it's gig her too.

I know the ins and outs of winchs on Jeepsr, just not sure how to size them for logs.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »

I have a 2500# winch I use to lift 4' logs onto my trailer we built for that purpose. It lifts them fine but it is supper slow. I wish I had more line speed. Still load most everything I can with a pulp hook and only the biggest pieces with the winch.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 05:54:42 PM »

I have collected a few 8000lb winches over the years, also a 4000lb on the wifes jeep and a few 3000lb units that mount on the ATVs. The one on the jeep is the only permanent mount . The 8000 units are used on the tractor for firewood when they are too far off the trail for chains and while they are heavy, one person can move them around and plug them into 2" receivers on vehicles, and trailers. With 8000 winches on sale for under $500, why fight with a unit that is too small when the log digs in or needs to come uphill...
I also have a dozen snatch blocks with slings...
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...