Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pinging BillG  (Read 7019 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Pinging BillG
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 07:51:32 PM »

I thought you bought metric pex? If so, I think you will have a hard time finding a crimp tool.
If you did get normal 1" pex (SDR9) then I would suggest a cinch tool.

Bill G

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »

Mr. RSI,

Got the Logstor stuff.  1" id.  Appreciate your suggestion as to what crimp tool and clamps.  Also, what type valves and w/1" barbs, etc.

Learning as I go, as you can tell...

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »

I think you will have to use compression fitting on that. There might be crimp tools made for it but they will be hard to find. What is the mm size of the pipe? You will need to look for a metric tool and rings if you want it to do it that way.  I talked to a distributor about that pipe once and he said they just used irrigation tubing fittings with it because it is the same size. That was the biggest reason I didn't deal with him.

I don't think the cinch clamps work on anything bigger that the normal 1" pex.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »

OK. I finally got mine! I have the next three days off. Guess what I'll be doing. (If my body doesn't revolt against me)

Any bets on how many cords this is?

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=49
Did he tell you the weight of it? If you know the approximate moisture and weight you can guess pretty close. Live trees are about 6000 Lbs per cord.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 03:47:08 AM »

i have no idea but i will make my guess as ....1 cord per foot of hight from the truck bed (let us know what you really get)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Ridgekid

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 04:15:31 AM »

BillG-
Thanks for the offer, it's actually better than what I get around here. (excuses) But as noted, not alot of splitting to do. I would return the offer for your install if I was closer.

RSI-
No idea on the weight. I had to meet him about 4 miles away and sneak him up some 10 Ton limit roads at 8:30 at night. Think he weighed more than that? (Joking- I know he did)

willieG-
Like I said, I hope it's at least 6 cords. Otherwise I'm wasting my time. 1 cord around here costs $150 + $60 delivery (Delivery only charged once-not per cord) . Will report final total.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:36:54 AM by Ridgekid »

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »

Hey Guys,

Don't wish to bore you all,  but pad is poured and finish come out nice.  Sealed and looking good.  Sat on chair near middle, 12 x12, and drank a beer admiring the view!

Boiler scheduled for delivery this coming Friday.would that be 28 May... 

Baseball and boiler...2 past time activities

My son will be of college age in 3 short years, and we need to find any angle for the coin to help him.  Heat and feed his a@@ til 18 and send him to the same college I attended at age 18, USMC, stand on the yellow footprints!!  Wife and son won't hear any of it.  Too bad.  College is truly a "walk in the park" after 4 yrs in the corp.  Times have changed.  Don't wish to see 3 gens. of my family doing thier time, and my son "wimp out". 

Gives me something to think about whilst splitting wood...

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »

Sounds like fun Biill. Wish I was doing that. Where's the pics? BTW- Couldn't get my boys to join either. I put 10 1/2 years in the Navy.

Cuttin-Splitting-Stacking:
Two days down and one to go. Going to have to get some help for the last day, which I might be getting.  I'm about whipped. Close to two thirds done and only stacked 3 1/2 cords. Not looking good for the effort. Good news: My stack for next winter is done, thats 8 cords and have 1 1/2 cords in reserve. I hope to get at least 2 more cords out of the rest of the stack. Thats will make it $100/Cord. For $150/cord I would of only had to stack it. Right now the way I feel it might of been worth it.

I'll post the final numbers tomorrow.

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »

Ridgekid,

Good numbers there Sir!!  You are truly  a workin' fool!!  But, I'm happy to hear from you, as you are truly far ahead of the game.  I will take your numbers any day.  Really going to town on that truck load.  Good feeling to know where the heat will be ON this winter.

10.5 yrs, I do hope your choice to give it up, and not due to health.  I always figured 4 yrs and 1 day equaled 20.  Should have, would.....could have.  I fit in there, and should have stayed.  Sure you know what I mean. 

Not many folks these days, with the "gumption" to take on the task of figuring a way to really save some money.  Good for us, too bad for them!  Gotta feel good looking at your year's worth of heat, stacked nice and ready to go when time comes.

Sincere Thanks for your service....beer's on me, when we meet...

Bill

Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »

I got out after 10.5 years for the wife and kids. Too hard on them to be gone months at a time.

And now (drum roll please) THE FIREWOOD IS CUT AND STACKED!!!!
Thanks with help of the extra hands today we went through the rest of it in 6 hours. Wife, Son and his girlfirend, Daughter and her Boyfriend and I.
Final tally= 7 cords. Or pretty close. 8 rows 14' long cut to 18" lengths and stacked 5 foot high. That gives us a total of 13 cords for next winter. And we better not use it all! I know the Wife will be screaming for hot water as soon as the first night hits below 40F. (She misses the hot water) .

Boy am i glad thats over with. Looks good anyway. http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=50
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:19:56 PM by Ridgekid »

Ridgekid

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 06:13:29 AM »

BillG-

Been a while since we wrote.  How did the Baseball standings go? Did you make it to the playoffs?

Speaking of Baseball, our Pittsburgh Pirates have finally made headlines as they have a good team this year, leading the North Central division. Hope they can keep up the good work! 

I didn't see any pictures yet but read somewhere you did get your OWB? Hows the install going?

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »

Hey Ridgekid,

Good to hear from you, friend!!

Baseball season, complete for us.  Amer. Legion team, well, crash and burn comes to mind!!  Number 1 seed going into playoffs only to lose two in a row.  2 and done, as the saying goes...next year, maybe....

Wood furnace still looking nice, sitting on new pad.  And, still connected to nothing!  Projected hook-up for end of August.  Looking forward to family fishing trip to Canada, 2nd week of August.

Hows about this heat wave!!!  Can't stand it much longer!  102 deg. on the old thermometer today!

Good thing we got the wood put up, because impossible to get-r-done in this.

Keep cool and hydrated.  Beer only after Sundown, but would you believe it just don't even taste right?  Must be getting old.

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
NE PA

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »

im not sure what my unerground piep really is. i t is logstor non barrier pipe that i think is uner 1 inch ID but maybe over 3/4 id...i just used 3/4 galvenized barbs. heated the pex with my propane torch to warm it up  and then inserted the 3/4 barb and tightened up the stainless screw clamp..ran allwinter with no leaks..and was very cheap...just a sugestion
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Ridgekid

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 08:08:46 AM »

BillG-

Sorry to hear about the baseball season. Pirates have been faltering also.

You better wait till it gets cooler out to continue the install. Us young guys apparently can't take the heat. Went to a wedding yesterday and the reception was out doors. 90F+ in the shade. Not sure what the heat index was. It was so bad I nearly passed out. Fingers tingling, felt light headed. Went to the truck for relief. Son's girlfirend passed out for a few minutes. OK THATS IT...LETS GO HOME! Didn't even get to eat. Probably didn't help I was at a Bud Light promo the night before drinking FREE beer!  :bash:

No doubt we can be thankful the wood is cut and stacked. I'd be hurting trying to get it done before winter at this point.

Have fun on the fishing trip! Mind me asking where your going in Canada?

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »

hey Ridgekid,

Fingers tingling, light headed....Thought was just me a few times this summer!   Scary feeling.

You didn't even get to eat the rubber chicken at the wedding???  Missed out on a good meal, I bet.  Well, as long as you left "the card" before you guys left!  This summer is tough on the body and pocket book for sure.  Really tough to stay motivated after 10 or 11 am.

Free Bud light promo, now that's more like my idea of a summer event!  In an air-conditioned establishment.  Possible fund raiser for the Dads from our Legion baseball team!  Should include a few of the Moms also.  Some put us to shame at the "game over" tail gate rituals.

We fish on the Rideou river system near Perth, Ont.  Been going there for years and always a good time.  Bass and pike.  Sometimes troll for lake trout, early mornings. 

I surely have enough split and stacked, wood, for this winter.  But, every day I look at that nice pile of pole length oak and would really like to get on it, for next year.  So, the good intention is there and no way am I touching it in this heat!  And the hook-up event is still looming in the distance.  And Fat Jack, the beagle pup needs new run built, garage could use a straightening up, 96 deg on thermometer this fine Sunday.  I better just grab a "cold one", and go sit back out under the shade tree and ponder what to do first!!

Keep in touch,
Bill :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: >:D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
NE PA
Pages: 1 [2] 3