Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Predator Engines  (Read 3843 times)

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
Predator Engines
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »

I built my log splitter a couple years ago and I didn't know what I wanted to power it with. I had a couple old engines laying around but I decided to go new.My first thought was go Honda they have never let me down. A friend of mine told me he had bought a couple of Predator engines from Harbor Freight and they ran great. I don't hold a lot of faith in the "China Tool Store" but for $99 for a 6.5 hp motor it was worth a try , and $15 for a 2 year replacement warranty wasn't bad either. I can say that I have run about 15 cord through my splitter and not one issue. The motor starts 1 or 2 pulls every time , it is fairly quiet , and very fuel efficient. I bought another one and put it on the kids go-cart and they beat the heck out of it , no problems there either. I have to say I am impressed and I would recommend these engines to anyone. Maybe it wouldn't stand up to everyday use , but we haven't killed one yet.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

silver star

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Predator Engines
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:11:32 PM »

There are sme gems to be found in those stores. I have been told that Harbor Freight has some big tool chests that are top notch and a fraction of what the name brand ones go for.

I have heard good things about the Predators too.
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

Carm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »

I had to replace the engine on my 30+ year old Huskee splitter last year.  Had an old Briggs and did a great job for all those years.  Countless cords.  Just wasn't economical to fix.  I needed an engine fast and did a little research.  A friend races go carts with Predator engines and he suggested it.  Turns out it was a bolt in replacement for the Briggs.  Got it for 100 bucks after all was done.  Apparently they are Honda knock offs.  I'm not a big fan of Keeping China in business, but if the quality is reasonable I'll buy it.    I did read that the original manufacturer of Honda clones was sues for patent infringement.....they subsequently changed some things to get around it.  So far in a year or more it's been good. Quieter too.  The only thing I don't like is the new style tank that has vapor space and will leak if you fill it above the tab in the filler hole.  Doesn't affect run time....but if I see a tank, I wanna top it off.   Maybe I'll seal it one day to get around that! 

As far as harbor freight I bought a 80 gal 7 HP compressor and it has American Made components. Oddly enough, the pressure reliev valve failed and a start capacitor crapped out.  Easy enough to fix, and the thing is a beast.  I think some decent deals are found there.   
Freeland, MD

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:23:54 PM »

Regardless of the quality, once your dollar leaves the country and ends up in China, it ain’t coming back.

A chinese made motor also doesn’t keep your brother in law, neighbor, or your kids in a job.

Their absolutely has to be no other choice before I’ll buy a made in a PRC POS.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »

I rebuilt a nearly 50 year old Kohler 10 HP  that was heavily used on a Ford riding tractor, and re-purposed it for my log splitter. It starts and runs great.  It cost a bit more than buying a new chicom, but the upside is that this brute of an engine will likely be around for another 50 years.  The downside is that the fuel economy is worse than new ones but no big deal for what it now does.
Muskoka, Ont

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:05:47 PM »

Don't get me wrong I'm a made in USA guy all the way!! I don't do self check-out and I always try and shop at my local stores before I hit up the big box outlet. I can re-purpose almost anything before I buy a new one. I hate to see my money go to China either. But sometimes it comes down to the good old budget on a project and for the money I couldn't find a better deal. 99% of the junk the finds it's way into this country is just that , JUNK but every once in a while there is a shining star.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 10:58:22 PM »

If the truth were known it would probably shock all of us to see how much of what we think is made in America comes from countries outside of America, if not the entire item then parts of it.

I have been a union member for over 38 years and it is disgusting to see how unions have been corrupted in that time. It could be the devil incarnate (such as the POS in office now) running for president, if there is a "D" behind their name they back them no questions asked. Tell me how the liberal policies of the democratic party benefit the working class of America?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Maybe it's time to start over? 1 term for all political offices, no perks, no retirements, no establishment politicians on either side.

But I digress.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 11:06:06 PM »

:post:
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:55:35 AM »

I don't think it's the D or the R that's important, more what's in their hearts, minds and how much $ the lobbyists are willing to put in their pockets in exchange for a vote in favor of whatever scheme is being pushed today. The only way I see clear of it all is to seriously reduce all government and take back control to the local town office, at least there, the powers to be can be approachable by the common citizen.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 09:41:49 PM »

I agree completely Slim. Almost all of our founding fathers served one term and then went home to their jobs. They truly loved this country as they weren't even paid for serving back then. Unfortunately establishment republicans have abandoned the true philosophy of conservatism-small limited government and liberals have always believed big government knows best.

If there is only one term then politicians won't be obliged to lobbyists war chests for reelection. I still think the liberals want our guns so we don't pose a threat when it is do or die to save our nation. It's sickening to see how far we have degenerated as a country.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »

I agree completely Slim. Almost all of our founding fathers served one term and then went home to their jobs. They truly loved this country as they weren't even paid for serving back then. Unfortunately establishment republicans have abandoned the true philosophy of conservatism-small limited government and liberals have always believed big government knows best.

If there is only one term then politicians won't be obliged to lobbyists war chests for reelection. I still think the liberals want our guns so we don't pose a threat when it is do or die to save our nation. It's sickening to see how far we have degenerated as a country.

I agree, my grandfather or great grandfather wouldn’t recognize either party as they are now.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana