Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New log splitter with lift and grapple (pics)  (Read 4871 times)

Calopolus

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200CS
  • It'll Burn
    • View Profile
New log splitter with lift and grapple (pics)
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »

Just picked up a new splitter yesterday. 16HP twin Onan motor (Circa 1980, if the chart I found is right) Horizontally opposed, with a 32 inch piston (the splitter, not the motor). I know my spelling is poor, Mozilla and Google Chrome both have stopped working, and IE sucks for extra features.

I will be doing some improvements, was hoping for some advice on what works and what doesn’t.

1) This hydro tank has got to go. It is wayyyyy to small, not sealed well (the top is just some sheet metal bolts anchored in) And the "roof" they have on it means I can't fill it without a funnel and hose, and its just as hard to check.
    Can I mount a new hydro tank under the pump? There is a sweet spot on the back of the splitter that would be perfect for a large tank. Will the pump suck it uphill? If it will, would it all drain back out when I shut it down and cause it to get air in the lines? When I drove spotter truck, we had hydro 5th wheels, and our tanks were below the pump, but I don't know if there are one way valves I need or what.

2) The cherry picker with grapple goes down too slow. They put a needle valve on both the supply and return lines. The lines are tiny, maybe around 5/8th's if I had to guess. I want to put a 3/4" line on the return side. I opened the needle valve all the way up, better but still too slow. Any downsides to a large return line?
Also, where the lines hit the picker arm, they are getting twisted. I was thinking of running hard lines down from the cylinder, than a swivel at the base connecting to the rubber hoses.

3) I am looking for information on the pump. Some people like doing genealogy on their family. I like doing it on old equipment I buy. It was made by Drott Manufacturing, and the only info I can find on the model # is from a 1946 dozer. I know a lot of you guys have heavy equipment, and would love to know the GPM of this pump, along with the recommended RPM and so on. Its a Drott Model 52163, C.S. & Serial B89-6730.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Calopolus

• Training Wheels
  • It'll Burn
    • View Profile
Re: New log splitter with lift and grapple (pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »

The guy I got it from has an OWB and owns a tree service. He went to using a skid steer and bucket splitter. This thing is heavy duty, but very slow.

There is an extra spot on the controls for another piston. Oh the possibilities. Was thinking of a log lift table. The grapple is nice for chunks, but I want a lift table for everything else.

Come on Spring, I want to paint!

Anyone ever use a grapple type log lift? I was thining about buying two smaller grapples and putting the on a bar, like a load leveler for an engine hoist. It would be nice to grap logs from the sides instead of just chunks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:21:08 AM by Calopolus »

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »

Cool, can't wait to see the improvements you do to it.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Calopolus

• Training Wheels
  • It'll Burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »

I'll keep ya updated Bull! Looks like a new cylinder is first. Sheared the bolt out of it today. I could just have it drilled out, but it is leaking anyway, and I dont like the design they used. Looks like they just hacked the end off off one they found, drilled a 1/4" hole and stuck two bolts in to pull the pusher head back. As far as I can tell, they left no room for the rod to push forward into the pusher, so it was pushing on the bolts in the split cycle, than pulling on them in the return. I hope that was just an oversight, not a sign that everything on this is just one stress away from breaking.

Can't wait to paint it and get some off the hillbilly off it. I like the tough homemade stuff, but damn this thing is an eyesore.

Calopolus

• Training Wheels
  • It'll Burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

Well, my splitter is all dolled up and now I am have to sell it. My landlord won't extend my lease, so I am not going to fix the wood burner. Just thought I would post some pics of the finished product. I put a new tank on, new plumbing and fluid. The cylinder that I thought was broke was fine, the bolts in fact did not go into it, just grabbed it on the return cycle. I snugged them up and it was smooth sailing from there.

http://rockford.craigslist.org/grd/3039881734.html

Really wish I had a need to keep this bad boy, I was so darned exited to see what I could do with it! >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Calopolus

• Training Wheels
  • It'll Burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »

Couple more

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »

That is an awesome looking machine
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"