Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: External Boiler Piping and Bung Location/Size  (Read 1755 times)

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
External Boiler Piping and Bung Location/Size
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:43:47 PM »

Still trying to determine where to place the bungs in the water jacket of my homemade furnace and was wondering...

If I was to extend metal piping from a bung location (on the side of the water jacket barrel) to the back of the stove, is black or galvanized pipe preferable, or does it matter? 

When I got to the back of the stove I was going to turn the metal pipe down with 90s, then transition to the pex a foot or so above ground.  All metal pipe and pex to be 1".

And what size bung is recommended for an aquastat drywell, and a bung to put a thermometer in?

Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: External Boiler Piping and Bung Location/Size
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

I'd use 1" bungs, supplies roughly 12-15" from bottom, returns 8-12" from top and extended inside a bit.

For the probes and dry wells you'll a need 1/2" bungs
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Re: External Boiler Piping and Bung Location/Size
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:48:12 AM »

Thanks Scott, that sounds good to me.  I have some 3" long x 1" couplings for the bungs, they are the 3000# forged steel type used on gas lines, very heavy-duty.

Haven't had a whole lot of time lately but I did get the tanks pressure washed last night and carried up into the shop.

I posted links to a few pics of my tanks in the Homemade section, but don't know how to get the pic to show up in the post, anyone know how to do that?
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA