Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: heat loss with staple up radiant system  (Read 1550 times)

Andy

• OWF Brand: central boiler 6048
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
heat loss with staple up radiant system
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:54:09 AM »

Im not really sure of what to do, so I'm asking for help. Hopefully somebody will know something about this or have experience with it.  This is what I have going on I have a CB6048 with 65' of thermo pex going to the house with one main loop for the supply and one loop for the return water. Off of them 1'' loops I have one zone for my upstairs which is 2  1/2'' 250' loop on one manifold. Another zone for my 1st floor which is 10 1/2'' loops on a manifold. Also one more zone with no manifold becauce its one loop for 8' of base board heat in my entrance. Last I have a cooper sleeve not sure what its called connected to my hot water heater to heat the domestic water for the house, that water circulation is pumped from the pump outside on the furnance.
The 3 pumps for the zones in the house are all Taco 007 zoning pumps and the one on the furnace outside is a taco 007 priority pump.  Okay with that said on days the temp drops below 10 degrees the zoning pumps run nonstop and the temp in the house  drops  8-9 degrees and cant keep the house at 72.  So I don't no if the pumps are big enough or what I should try?  I remodeled and there is new insulation in walls and all new windows. there is very little heat loss. it is  2700sq ft house.  So any help on this would be very appricated. Thank you.

Belknap

• View Profile
Re: heat loss with staple up radiant system
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:05:13 AM »

With the radiant did you use metal plates to fasten the piping to the floor?  I had to do that just to get the heat transfered through the floor so I could get the temps up.  Also what did you use for a barrier below the radiant piping to force the heat up?
Gilford NH

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »

How does the owb hot water interface with the inside heating system, through a plate exchanger? It would be extremely helpful to know what your incoming and outgoing temps to the owb are. Also what are you returning temps from the radiant in the house? I think that you might have to much of a heat drop in the system because your pump on the boiler is to small or your plate exchanger is to small.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »

Have you checked to be sure some of your loops in the radiant floor are not air locked? If you are using a manifold with 10 runs off of it there is a chance some are not getting water flow. Also has the system ever worked or was it working and now has stopped?
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

if we assume your thermopex is 1 inch and you say 65 feet one way so we double that to 130 and add a few feet for fittings and such and we say your total pipe is 150 feet ....now we estimate your gpm required  floor heat in 1/2 inch pex is said to not exceed .6 gpm, you have 12 loops in 2 zones so you require 7.2 gpm and your baseboard would  be (if a 3/4 single tube) likely need a minumum of 1 gpm so you need about 8 we can say 9 for safety.

you need to move 9 gpm at about 16 feet of head.....taco 0014 or equivilent at the owb
the 07 you have now is likley delivering about  5 gpm (that is around 50,000 btu per hour  and that could be not quite enough on a cold night for a house of your size)

get that delivery up to 9 or 10 gpm and you will be delivering enough, your floor loops should be able to extract about 75,000 (or more) and your baseboard about 500 btu per foot of length of the baseboard.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada