Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: P&M install  (Read 1550 times)

american-pacemaker

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: OPTIMIZER 250
    • View Profile
P&M install
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:59:08 AM »

I am connecting a P&M 250 to my inside oil boiler. Slimjim sent me a basic drawing of the two systems. It looks to be like
the bell and gosset primary secondary that they designed in the mid 50's which has worked very well since then. I am sure
there are differances due to the outside boiler being hooked to it.

1st- will the pump on the outside boiler loop run 24/7 ? Will it have a just a switch to turn it off for maintenance ?

2nd- will the pump on the inside boiler primary loop run 24/7 ?

3rd- will the secondary loops or zones be controlled with a zone valve or circulators ?

4th- what will control the the inside boiler running without the burner coming on ?

Thanks for the help on this slimjim. As you had said you would like these discusions to be in the forum so every body can benifit from them.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: P&M install
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:19:06 AM »

Thank you for your efforts and patience AP, first so that we are on the same page, you do or do not have an existing oil fired BOILER. Second yes what I like to do is a primary/secondary loop and the reason for this is that any portion of that system can be shut down at any time without affecting the rest of the loops rather it be on the secondary heat loop side or the secondary heat supply side rather it is oil/gas fired boiler or solar thermal/heat pump, whatever, it also makes the job much simpler to add more sources of heat in the future during the dead of winter without shutting down the existing system, in short, flexibility. Third yes both the primary circulators will run 24/7 and controlled by a switch for maintenance. Fourth, please use circulators for heat loops and any future zones and here are some good reasons why, circulators are cheaper and less problematic, if one goes out in the middle of the night on the weekend you still have heat in the rest of the house, spare circulators are easy to store on a shelf. Fifth, great question that I have tried to promote here since coming onto this forum, a strap on or well type Aqua-stat is mounted on the incoming wood boiler supply line before the plate exchanger, it monitors the temp from the boiler, you will want the break on temperature rise terminals (Honeywell's 1018-6006c is the R+B terminals) it is used to interrupt what we call the B-1 circuit, this is the power wire going to the burner motor, simply cut that wire (turn the power off first) and attach the two ends to the wires that just came from R+B on the Honeywell Aqua-stat , this breaks the power supply to the oil burner itself whenever the incoming wood boiler water is above the set point of the Honeywell Aqua-stat, I normally set it at about 160 degrees, you may need to adjust this as I run my boilers quite hot. Thanks for the opportunity to explain this part. I'll be looking forward to more questions!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

american-pacemaker

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: OPTIMIZER 250
    • View Profile
Re: P&M install
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:37:06 AM »

I do have an existing oil boiler in the house. It is a slant fin liberty oil boiler.The entire system needs to be replumbed since the original installer was not the best at his trade. So if I put the same johnson aquastat on the heat exchanger that will tell the inside oil boiler what to do and then the aquastat on the oil boiler will then take control if it needs to ? Sorry if I am asking questions that should have a simple answer but I am trying to totally understand the system as a whole.