Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: bleeding air from system  (Read 5546 times)

ambonci

• OWF Brand: SHAVER 165
    • View Profile
bleeding air from system
« on: October 25, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »

I made a post this week about adding a hydronic heater in my garage.  I added another loop using another circulator and another return to my stove.  Thanks to RSI for all the help.  I put all the stuff in yesterday fired up stove and can hear lots of air in the system.  The new loop I added I put in a drain valve where I can bleed on the return side.  I bleed the air out of that loop and its working good(may have to bleed one more time).  My question is on my house loop.  I put a new circulator in(replaced a 15-58 with a 26-99).  I have only one place where I can bleed that side and that's on the return at the stove.  what is the best way to bleed my house loop?  I'm thinking close the return let it build pressure for 30 seconds and open the ball valve.  is that thinking correct or totally wrong.  I jut don want to burn up the new circulator.  another question is the 26-99 louder then the 15-58 or is it just the air in the system still.  Hope I explained it ok if not let me know and I will try again.

Thanks
Adam

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: bleeding air from system
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:52:32 AM »

I would only do it 5 or 10 second s at a time ! Do it 3or 3 times!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:57:41 AM »

Close and reopen instantly. Don't leave it closed.

Run pump on high when bleeding. If the 15-58 was close to enough before then low will be a little more flow than high was before. Larger pumps do make more noise.

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »

close and repopen with the ball valve open? 

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »

I think I read it wrong before. If you are opening a bleeder, only close the return valve 1/2 to 3/4. Do not close all the way.

If you are trying to flush trapped air out of the system where there are no bleeders the closing and opening the return valve quickly sometimes works to get it out.

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »

thanks again RSI.  my new circulator seems to be quieter today and I don't her air in the lines like I did yesterday.  possible that it bleed itself?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 07:15:52 PM »

Take the big silver screw out if the end of the motor to bleed the air out of it. That may help quiet it down.
Put the screw back once you get water coming out. Sometimes water won't come out so just put back after a couple minutes if no water comes out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:18:26 PM by RSI »

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 05:08:21 PM »

does that work for all circulators?  I have a smaller arm strong for my garage loop just wondering if it would work on that one.  Thanks

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »

if you don't have bleeders I just loosen the flange bolts on the "out" side of the circulator and drain a little out. you can usually see some bubbles or at times I have actually heard it make a hissing sound like butter hitting a hot frying pan
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »

I tried removing the screw on the end of the circulator and alls it did was drip slightly.  I'm just concerned about air in my heat exchanger and effecting my heat when it des get cold out.  Thanks again. I will try loosening the outlet flange tomorrow after work.

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »

So I have done the loosening of the flange and that didn't help much.  I also removed the big screw from the pump and that didn't help.  so I closed the return and attached a hose to the drain that's before it and I got a decent amount of air.  I was running the pump on high while doing it.  I did it like 10 times.  I did notice the pump getting quieter and at one pint it was silent.  s I just got back in from loading it for the night and the pump was kind of loud again.  so I'm guessing I have some more trapped air in my heat exchanger.  is that possible?  I guess I will bleed it more tomorrow.  the drain I was bleeding at is before the shutoff and on the return side.  in theory it should work.  someone please correct me if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks Adam

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »

my pump is in my basement and what I did to chase the air out was actually put a garden hose connection in the line at the OWB feed line, after the shut off valve at the OWB and force water through the entire system under the pressure from the house water, that worked for me, ever since I just shut the pump off in the spring and turn it on in the fall and I have never had air in the main line again.

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ambonci

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »

update:  I was spitting wood today and thought id check circulator for noise.  Ill be darn I could hear air again.  so I bleed it out like described above and it quitied down so I let it run for an hour or so and went inside and tapped on both my heat exchangers with a rubber mallet and let it run for 10 ore minutes.  sure enough pump sounded like it was full of marbles.  I bleed it out and got 2-3 good bursts of air and it ended up quitting down.  could I have "knocked an air pocket loose inside one of the heat exchangers?  It sure acts like it did.  Just thought id share this information.  thanks again you guys have been a big help.  tomorrow I'm going to post a picture of where I'm bleeding from.