Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Good one for you  (Read 2031 times)

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
Good one for you
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »

I had filled the stove up about 10 pm last night.  due to storms last night My electricity went out about 1100 pm  and has been off until 1130 am today ,A full 12 hours . I fully expected the temp to be about 70-80 degrees on boiler, temperature here have been mild low of 40 last night high of 50 today , when the electricity came back on I went around the boiler and looked and I have it set at 175 with a 10 degree differential, the temperature was reading 187 !!

keep in mind there was no pumps running or anything to pull the heat off, it just sat and smoldered all night 

I know a lot of discussion has been going on about 1/2 fireboxes and allegedly how inefficient they are taking longer to heat up but it appears to me that it also swings  on the other side of the pendulum that they retain the heat twice as long ?? i was definitely surprised to see this setting at 187 after being off for 12 hours , i opened it once for about 2 mins today , thats it 

interesting 
Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
Re: Good one for you
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »

I lost power for 24hrs with Hurricane Sandy and thought my fire would go out.  When I checked on it the next morning, to my surprise,  the wood was almost gone and I had a boil over.  The problem was the solenoid and flapper remained open and did not close when the electric went out creating a natural draft all night.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:01 PM »

with no power to your OWB it may creep up a bit...if it is a non gasser (and perhaps even a gasser but i dont know anything about them) the fire never goes out between burns..if it did it would not reignite.

now even the  so called best  underground pipes (logstor or thermopex) say they will lose 1 degree or a little more in a 100 foot run at 5 gpm..that would work out to something like  5 gpm = 40 pounds x 1btu = 40 btu per minute loss x 60 = 2,400 btu per hour loss..x this by 12 hours =28,000 btu that you did not lose through your underground lines in the time you were without power

lets say you have 200 gallons in your stove = 1600 pounds 28,000 devided by 1600 = an increase of 17.5 degrees. add that to y our normal shut off tmep of 175 = 192..5  now your stove would also lose some btu from itself and if it was windy out..there would likley be some draw on the stove and some heat loss from the stove also. that could easily be enough to make that small difference... i dont think you have any worries. just my opinon but any stove that can sit full of wood with no power to it and never boil over is not leaking enough air to cause any worries
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:14:13 PM »

Where did you expect the heat to go?  With nothing drawing heat off it's gonna stay hot for a longg time

Stoves ran in the summer can set there and drift up past there set points all the time, it's very common when no heat is being pulled off

Pumps running an all that is a slow draw on the heat

The half inch steel did not aid in that, it was hindering that as well, if it would have been a 1/4" box it may have boiled over so look at the bright side

When we are talkin about metal thickness and it's affects on efficiency,
That isn't opinion, it's science

Often times we all get defensive because we are proud of our purchases, and I don't want to sound like I'm not happy that you love your stove because that's what it's all about

Very very minute air leaks that keep the stove alive in idle times can show up in situations like you explained

Thumbs up on it being ready to go though!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:15:46 PM by Scott7m »
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jborden3

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: tennessee outdoor
  • OWF Model: hoss 400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:07:43 PM »

I have noticed when my 400 is idle it draws a small amount of air through the fan motor so that may be where you are getting your air from not sure i am getting 18 hour burns on mine in this cold weather 20s hear with lots of wind if the wind stops 20 to 24 hour burns no problem.