Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Woodmaster/Propane Issue  (Read 12393 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Woodmaster/Propane Issue
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »

You diagram doesn't show water flowing through the gas boiler. You will burn gas if it doesn't.

mingom

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »

I've got a woodboiler installation guy stopping by tomorrow to check out the system. He's leaning towards poor quality/poorly insulated pex lines, but says theres still time to install new ones before everything is fully frozen (groundwise). I'm still hoping there is something else going on instead.

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »

I hope you can get it figured out without a lot of expense, however to have the OWB burning along with your propane furnace is expensive and a waste of energy.  Good luck!
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2011, 07:16:57 AM »

If the wood boiler is heating your house ok, i think i would just turn off propane before spending a lot of money just to get propane boiler to stay on line. I have oil boiler for back up. I have never tried to keep it on line with wood boiler. It might do the same as yours. If and when i need it, i will turn switch on and isolate owb with valves i installed to keep from heating owb with oil. Just my opinion everyone has one.

mingom

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2011, 07:42:16 AM »

I understand what you're saying Mikenc, but I use it as a backup HW supply too, incase its super cold and I need more hot water than i can get off the OWB plus heat at once.  I also travel sometimes and don't want to have the OWB be the only form of heat for my fiancee in case she can't load the stove for some reason.  Thanks for all the input guys, I'll let you know what happens today.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »

Please do, you never know the time may come when i might need to operate mine together. I am sure it can be done with the right control sequence, its just getting it hooked up the right way. I may fire up mine sometime today and see what it does. I think i would want to add a 3-way valve in order to by pass HX when oil boiler is running so i am not using oil to heat water in OWB. 

mingom

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »

Okay, so the OWB installer came and left with some suggestions.  We think the issue lies within the plate to plate heat exchanger, with it being a.) seemingly plugged, and b.) undersized for the application.  I have a 20 plate hx, and he recommended upsizing to either a 40 or 50 plate, and putting ball valves and tees in on all four inlets so we can run hydrocloric acid through it easily when it begins to scale up again.  He's estimating about 1000-1200 dollar job to put in a new hx, all the piping, and adding 2 new aquastats to control the system.  One to kill power to the propane unit at B1 until it has to come one, and one to control the blower at the OWB (if the temp gets below 130 or so, as if I left and didn't fill, it would kill power).

Just wanted to give you an update. Thanks for all the help!  I appreciate any comments and help!

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »

Well at least you have  an ides of whats needed to correct problem. Don't know if you need it but when i installed mine they recommended a 60 plate for the amout of btu needed to heat my house. 

mingom

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »

This is the heat exchanger they want to install pricing around 430 ish their price:

http://badgerpipe.3dcartstores.com/40-Plate-Water-Braized-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-1-Ports-5x12-_p_13.html#

I found it here for less:
http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/heatexchangers/brazed-plate-heat-exchanger-1-lb3140-buy.asp

and I found this one, didn't know if anyone had any experience with this brand ( or any others)
http://www.brazetek.com/products/details/20/6/4-x-12-inch-1-inch-mpt-connections-stainless-steel-copper-brazed-plate-heat-exchangers/40-plate-brazed-heat-exchanger-1
Wow, $430 for just the heat exchanger? I wish I could mark stuff up that much.

The 2nd and 3rd don't appear to be 5" x 12" so not equivalent. (3" x 7.5" at Houseneeds and Brazetek is 4-1/4" wide)

Here are some prices you can use for comparison http://www.rsiboilers.com/parts/plate.htm

mingom

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »

On the house needs one, if you scroll down and look at the dimensions on the drawing it appears to be 5x12, however you are correct in what they state, maybe i'll give them a call.  Have you ordered anything from RSI boiler before? 

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »

On the house needs one, if you scroll down and look at the dimensions on the drawing it appears to be 5x12, however you are correct in what they state, maybe i'll give them a call.  Have you ordered anything from RSI boiler before?
I guess I didn't scroll down far enough. I got those dimensions from up the page a little but thinking about that now I don't think there would be room for two 1" fittings on 3" wide area and be able to get fittings on them.
Anyway, what I was trying to say is if they are a smaller size it isn't necessarily a bad think but you need more plates to be equivalent.

I just put the link for reference prices. It is my website so, no, I have not ordered from myself   ;D

mingom

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »

Haha sorry, didn't notice the connection.. duh.  Anyways, do you have any type of warranty/damage policy.  Also, any idea on ship times to Maine?  Looks like those are AIC exchangers?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:12 AM »

That picture is old. I have been selling HEX brand lately. I don't think it could ship till next week because I don't have of that size in stock right now and that supplier is closed this week.

If you are in a hurry I could do the one in your first link instead but I like the HEX brand better.

I would have to call the supplier to get the warranty details. The warranties on any brand pretty much just cover defects. If you get one that leaks or is damaged in shipping it would obviously be replaced.

mingom

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »

Anything available with 1" threaded ports?  I see all the ones you offer are 1-1/4
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5